Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro in the Rain

Discussion stats
  • 30 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
takumi87
Star
Star

I recently installed an Arlo Pro outdoors and it seems to work well. However, today we had some rainwhich covered the camera lens. This rendered the camera unusable. Below is a screenshot of what it looks like.

Are there any solutions to this? Are there any accessories that can cover the camera to protect it from the rain and snow in order to prevent this problem? Thanks!

Screenshot_20170103-180508.png

30 REPLIES 30
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I can't see your pic. I guess the admins have to authorise pics to show.

Anyway, check out the Arlo Pro skins

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/skin.aspx

And also think about possibly mounting your camera higher so it points downwards more

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Mine did the same thing during a night rain storm. Was fine during the rain during the day. I might buy the skins to see if they protect the lens.
Mr_Marco
Tutor
Tutor

New Arlo Pro owner here. I'm having the same problem at night with IR light on. Of course, with IR off, nothing can be seen because it's too dark. My cam is facing down at about a 45-degree angle, so if this is due to water on the face of the cam (most likely), it must be flowing across the face from the body. I'm going to try the skin. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah, i don't see this as anything Netgear can fix, it appears that it is simply rain reflecting off the IR. If anyone reports the skin helps, i'll buy it also.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could try Rain-X or similar on the lens but that's about it other than putting the camera in a location less prone to water exposure.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've seen this and it for me appears not during rain but with a small mist or afterwards...with raindrops on lens.

It usu take a short time to dry off, but not much to prvent it. 

Except, some have talked about waxing the front or rainx that some have used on car windows...don't know if it will work but maybe worth a try.

More likely if possible mounting under a soffit or gutter to stop it some what.

OR attaching some sort of 'duck bill' above it to prevent same... I've seen someone mount their cam in a 4" piece of PVC tube ( painted to match background ) for protection and that one didn't have rain... maybe think outside the box is needed.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
takumi87
Star
Star

Thanks. My camera is also angled downwards at a 45 degree angle. I actually wanted to mount it higher and angle is down more, but was concerned about seeing too much of people's heads.

I'll give the skins a try. I see Amazon has the Netgear ones and also some from Wasserstein. Any recommendations on which one is better? They look similar.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
TomMac, interesting you said must because when I first noticed this.... it was a weird mist rain.

Takimi87, I'm sure everyone would recommend name brand here but it would be worth a shot I think.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
*Mist
Mr_Marco
Tutor
Tutor

takumi87 wrote:

Thanks. My camera is also angled downwards at a 45 degree angle. I actually wanted to mount it higher and angle is down more, but was concerned about seeing too much of people's heads.

I'll give the skins a try. I see Amazon has the Netgear ones and also some from Wasserstein. Any recommendations on which one is better? They look similar.

I went with the Wasserstein ones. Several reviews for the Netgear skins mentioned reflection from the IR and cutoff at the corners, which seem to be related. I'll post back when I get them.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mr_Marco, post back your results! I'm interested to see how they work.

takumi87
Star
Star

I also just ordered the Wasserstein ones. Mainly because the Netgear ones are backordered and won't ship for another 1-2 months. I'll report back once they're installed for the next rain storm.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I hope you guys have prime! So we don't have to wait long to see your review, LOL
Mr_Marco
Tutor
Tutor

manofice wrote:
I hope you guys have prime! So we don't have to wait long to see your review, LOL

Haha! Actually, I'm on 30 day prime trial and expecting the skins to be delivered today. It's snowing atm, and aside from a few false notifications, the view is clear.  

Marquise23
Star
Star
I actually have the Arlo Pro skins 3-pack. I ask myself the question, why do they offer a 3-pack while I have the 4 camera system? Kinda weird if you ask me...but anyway, they do not work in the rain for me, even with the hood in front. I got the same image as you takumi87. No motion or video can be recorded in result...I guess the rain in my area falls sideways. LOL!
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Marquise23: how is yours angled?

Marquise23
Star
Star
~45 Degrees
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you have any pics of the rain while using the skin? I was intending to buy them to hopefully resolve that issue but maybe won't now.

Marquise23
Star
Star
I would have thought that it would be ok in the rain with these sleeves. One of my cams is under an awning for added protection, but the rain still soaked and obscured the lens!

I have some pics on my HDD. I will try to post them later. Stay tuned...
Marquise23
Star
Star

This Arlo Pro is on my walkway leading to my front door and is sheltered by an awning, so I would think the rain wouldn't get to it, but ultimately, it still did...even with the Arlo Pro Skin (which has the hood).

Walkway Cam.png

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Wow, I'm surprised with the skin that still happened.
Marquise23
Star
Star
Yeah, it was worse than that during night time with heavy winds & rain. The cam would be drenched. I removed the skin and the cam itself was soaked with water. I taped the charging port to ensure water doesnt enter there. Now, I might have to put saran wrap on the cam under the skin just to make sure water doesn't enter the camera itself...just as a precaution.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
My one camera survived a ice storm last weekend, it was completely covered in ice and had iceicles, no skin installed and luckily it didn't skip a beat.
Marquise23
Star
Star
Wow! Nice! I woud suggest getting the skins, just for good measure.

I had to return my entire unit back to Bestbuy a few days ago, since Netgear Support failed to give me any updates on my two issues. Glad I was within the Holiday return extension period. Will see if these new cams will work or I will look at other surveillance systems out there...