Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mrshanno1
Guide
Guide

Hi guys (and James C), 

I've had the dreaded battery drain since May...as others have stated, my batteries used to last 5 months, and now they go out in weeks (if I'm lucky) with no changes on my part. Any update on a fix for this? This has been ridiculous and I can't believe there is not more communication and acknowledgement of the issue...I guess that's a dead horse though. 

A new issue to me is that the last couple of days, recording stops at about 13-15 seconds even when motion is still occurring. I do have the setting checked where it is supposed to record until motion is not detected. Any tips?

As a side note...Anyone have the new Arlo CEO's contact information? Do we think he is aware of all these issues, or is he oblivious being so high up? I'd like to make him aware if he is not. 

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mrshanno1,

The engineering team is currently investigating the recent reports of increased battery drain. I don't have any new information at this time but wanted to let you know it's a prioritized complaint.

Regarding recordings stopping when motion is still occurring, does this happen on all recordings or is it intermittent. Are you sure the motion that is happening is still within the cameras range when you are expecting it to continue recording? If the motion is outside the cameras range, it could have this result.

JamesC

mrshanno1
Guide
Guide

James C

Although it is very disappointing that it had gone on so long now, it is nice to hear an acknowledgement of the issue and that it is being worked on. Please let us know of updates.

Regarding recording times... No the motion is still going on and is in the cameras zone of detection.

mrshanno1
Guide
Guide
Nope... Still only recording 10 seconds even though setting is for stop when motion is no longer detected.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's likely your problem. Use a fixed time to record instead.

What folks have trouble understanding is that the camera has to be able to detect the motion to be able to keep recording. I've found that there's about a 5 second buffer when motions stops or can't be detected before recording stops. If the camera can detect motion again during that 5 seconds, no problem. If the subject moves out of the detection range or is otherwise undetectable, you get short recordings. You can prove this to yourself by simply walking back and forth in front of the camera at a constant distance. Then start moving slowly further away and see when/where the recording stops.

mrshanno1
Guide
Guide
Hi

I actually purposefully walked back and forth in front of the camera and in its motion range for at least 20 seconds.... It only recorded the first 10 seconds and obviously cut the vid short
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you try my test? Start close and slowly work your way away from the camera.

The alternative is to use timed recordings rather than "record until activity stops".