Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro only picks up motion at 5-10 feet

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JMD11
Aspirant
Aspirant

So disappointed to find out that these cameras don't pick up motion until 5-10 away from camera. Essentially by the time it starts recording you end up filming the top or back of their head or nothing at all as the person is already out of picture. I have one camera mounted above garage and literally all I get is a half second of recording. If you turn up sensitivity, then it false triggers every 10 min. Everything else is so cool so a shame that it is terrible at the basic function for what these are truly needed for.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PRO has a pretty good response... will say that placement is / can be a trial and error thing following the guide lines from Netgear...

The camera will operate very good if the traffic is crossing the field of view as oppose to directly at it.

Also can say theat for people the detection sensor maxs out at 20+ft for people... and don't try to cover to large an area or you will get false triggers as the sense level goes up. ( i try to keep the covered area within the sense zone about 20 ft out from camera )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JMD11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Understand placement is key but obviously for outdoors you need to mount high enough where someone can't reach it. So if you mount at 10-12', then you're pretty much stuck at 10' max from vertical camera location. I'll try to angle to get better cross detection however then I lose being able to see a face straight on and once again an important element of security cameras.
Do you find it better to aim closer from the camera and limit your field of view. Only issue there is if I want to film further out after being notified then I'm limited.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a screenshot for specific suggestions.

Hugelolcat
Tutor
Tutor

Set mine up yesterday, been very happy with the detection speed thus far. By way of illustration, here is one of the cameras picking up a bird flying by quite quickly.

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/343D1B3AE4B04C2A_201704

Note: I have left my video quality at the default middle "optimised" value at the moment, rather than on "best video" - hence it may be more pixelated than other people's.