Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
lamb888
Follower
Follower

I am receiving a message "A firmware update is required" for base station. I can not get it to down load. Help

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try turning the base off and on. If that doesn't help, try removing the base in Settings, My Devices and add it again using the Add Device button on the Devices tab.

Monicaje1979
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought the arlo pro and I'm having the same problem. Did this answer solve the firmware update problem? Please and thank you.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Monicaje1979,

Under normal circumstances, firmware updates will automatically take place overnight.

Who is your ISP and what are you download/upload speeds. Poor internet connection can often cause the firmware updates to fail.

JamesC

Monicaje1979
Aspirant
Aspirant
Att and upload up to 1.5 Mbps and download up to 256 kpbs.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I suspect you swapped those numbers since uploads are almost always slower but in any event this could well be your issue. Slow Internet speeds are known to cause firmware updates to not happen. Some folks have gotten around this by moving the system someplace that has better speeds, performing the updates and returning the system to its original location.
Monicaje1979
Aspirant
Aspirant
That was my next plan of action. Do you know what speed is the best?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The spec is for a minimum of 1Mb/s for uploads but a bit faster doesn't hurt. I used to have Time Warner which gave me 15Mbs download and 1Mbs uploads which mostly worked fine. Now that TW got bought out and became Spectrum, 60Mbs download and 5Mbs upload seems better overall​.
Monicaje1979
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your help. That was the exact problem. I brought the unit to a Comcast cable connection and it updated. I'm able to see the live feed. Do you know how often I will have to do the updates?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's hard to predict. Write down your versions you have now and check the Release Notes here on a regular basis for comparison. Of course, you should also have notifications when an update is available.