Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro saving videos to ext drive

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
jmkubler
Aspirant
Aspirant

I been using the 3 camera system for over one month and I am very pleased. I have a 1 GB thumb drive in my base station to locally save the files beyond the 7 days provided for free by Arlo. I noticed that yesterday's videos were not saved on the thumb drive. The thumb drive has 90% free space. Is there a delay before the files are transferred to the external drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the USB drive gets the videos at the same time as they're uploaded.

First, check that the drive is being recognized by the base. How do you know that yesterday's videos weren't saved - did you pull the drive?  If so, did you unmount it first to make sure the file system isn't goobered?  If you just grabbed it out without unmounting, stick it in a computer and do a file system check - allow it to fix any error.  Then check the drive for videos again if errors were found and fixed.  They may well be placed in a recovery folder (the name will depend on the OS used by the computer).  If you find recovered files of an appropriate length, try renaming them using a .mp4 extension so the OS knows what to do with them.

If everything looks good, delete or copy any existing videos on your computer.  Put the drive back on the base and ensure it's recognized.  Use the Format button to reformat the drive and see what happens.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the USB drive gets the videos at the same time as they're uploaded.

First, check that the drive is being recognized by the base. How do you know that yesterday's videos weren't saved - did you pull the drive?  If so, did you unmount it first to make sure the file system isn't goobered?  If you just grabbed it out without unmounting, stick it in a computer and do a file system check - allow it to fix any error.  Then check the drive for videos again if errors were found and fixed.  They may well be placed in a recovery folder (the name will depend on the OS used by the computer).  If you find recovered files of an appropriate length, try renaming them using a .mp4 extension so the OS knows what to do with them.

If everything looks good, delete or copy any existing videos on your computer.  Put the drive back on the base and ensure it's recognized.  Use the Format button to reformat the drive and see what happens.

jmkubler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your prompt response!

According to the "Settings" the base station shows the local storage as mounted since I can Restart and remove it. Before I removed the thumb drive I removed it coreectly using the app. I can view the files on my finder and see them actually played using the Elemdia video player. Since this is the first time that I noticed files missing, I will copy all the files to my computer, reinstall the drive and format it. I will check in a couple fo days to see if it works as expected. 

jmkubler
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, here is a quick update. I was in process to copy the files to my computer and also checked the file dates. I discovered the the files were not listed chronologally, hence I found the two missing files! For some reason my Finder does not sort them correctly on this thumb drive. 

In conclusion, my system works correctly, I have no problems! Thanks again for your assistance.