Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Bug Report: Arlo app update 2.5.0 broke push notifications (iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1)

RCooke
Tutor
Tutor

Netgear's 2.5.0 app update broke push notifications on my iPhone X running iOS 11.3.1. I would like to report this bug. I hope the app will be patched ASAP.

269 REPLIES 269
CJPSurf
Guide
Guide

Thanks.  I tried that also.  Works for a while, but then reverts back to not working. Wish they would just re-relase the previous version. No problems with that one.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I'm also not getting notifications today. This is starting to get rediculous.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

No notifications today on my iPhoneX. (IOS 11.3.1, app version 2.5.0).  Removed app, reinstalled, rebooted base, nothing so far. I also notice that even on the arlo website, I can't add my email address to add email notifications, it simply won't let me click on it. My wifes iPhone8plus on IOS 11.3.1 and 2.5.0 appears to be getting notifications from arlo. I am getting beyond frustrated at this point.  I used to recommend this system to my family but with the constant barrage of problems, failures to fully test and vet firmware and bugs that take days to fix, I can no longer recommend this system to anyone. 

Elynch
Guide
Guide
Same issue here. I have an IPhone X and everything worked FINE before the update. After update, I no longer get notifications. I just called the customer service number which directed me to the Philippines call center. After being being on hold for 10 minutes I was told “yes, this is an issue and there is no resolution yet”.
I live NEAR NETGEAR in the Bay Area- how is this not fixed?! It’s the point of having a camera “to get alerted to activity.”
Super disappointed- FIX ASAP!!!!!!
Ajmmmr
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are also having issues with not receiving push or email notifications.   Our Arlo is on 2.5.0 and my Iphone 7 is using version 11.3.1.  

Caspers
Guide
Guide
I wish they not only fix this push alert issue but also the issue going on 2+ years of false motion alerts when logging into the Arlo app. Unfortunately, I have no confidence in the Netgear engineering team. Their product has been riddled with issues for years to which they don’t know how to fix.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

Same here. iPhone X 11.3.1. Arlo Pro. Was working fine before latest app update. Now no more push notification for motion detected (but videos are there in Library view, so I know cameras are working fine, just notification broken)

Check iTunes AppStore comments. Flood of same issue report

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

When the push notifications have stopped I log out of the app, log back in, then they start working again.

Ajmmmr
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried that, even reset the base. But it’s not working correctly. I either have no notifications or they are sporadic.
Cruiseseeker
Aspirant
Aspirant
Everyone please test your motion multiple times because mine is now missing entire vehicles even as big as a delivery truck. It’s picking up sometimes but not others when it used to be consistent.
ysu
Luminary
Luminary

@jcwrks wrote:

When the push notifications have stopped I log out of the app, log back in, then they start working again.

Thank you! I tried that. Yes it helped for like 10-20 min then stopped again (I went to Library and see new motion videos that I never got notified).

It used to be very consistent before the update. Something must have been broken, at least partially.

RCooke
Tutor
Tutor

OP reporting back: still no notifications here.

NETGEAR, can you push out or at least make available the latest actually working version of your app until this issue is resolved? 2.5.0 is clearly premature.

FormerArloUser
Guide
Guide

iPhone6s. My push notifications are intermittent. Started after the latest app update. Been TS for a few days now. I spent about 5 minutes walking around the house, with nothing. Shut down 1 camera and the other one started giving notifications. Spent over an hour finding a support number and some guy in SW Asia told me "F%$K YOU!" after I didn't want to spend $99/yr. Can't wait to dump this Arlo crap. NEVER NETGEAR! 

Never Netgear!
KelleyO
Tutor
Tutor

Definitely would like to be able to roll back to previous version that worked!!

HG_SIMON
Tutor
Tutor
Hello
This is happening pretty much to any iPhone iOS . I have 6s and didn't wanna update cause you guys always have problems with your firmware .
2 of my camera were doing something funny like turning on LED's inside my home even though I had them turned off .
I decided maybe updating would help so did the 2.5 update and low and behold now notifications are hit and miss and the 2 of the cameras sometimes still activate leds like when I go by them even though it's off in my app and not recording ... so I power off and on the base station and that fixes them for one day ..
This is getting crazy 😞
I really like your guys product but amazed you don't proof check your updates ..
Ugh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hersheyk19
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yup..our notifications stopped working as well. Both iPhone and iPad. We go on vacation in 4 days so I need this fixed! Something similar happened last September when we were going on vacation on the cameras themselves keep going offline for no reason and only had 1 bar signal when they did work. They had worked fine weeks and months before we left. We are cursed with these things around vacation time.  These cameras kinda suck and are not 100% reliable but they are working in the meantime until we can figure out where to plug in outdoor nest cameras. And don't get me started on the battery issue. Vent over, thank you. 

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello all,

Engineering is actively investigating this issue, and we would like your assistance in performing these steps, and reporting back the time that you performed these steps and the results (did you receive a push notification or still did not):

1. Log out of the Arlo app and back in (not minimize the app, but explicitly log out and back in)

2. Trigger motion and monitor for push notification. If you receive a push notification at this point, you don't need to perform step 3.

3. Toggle push notifications off, and then back on.

4. Trigger motion and monitor for push notification.

We thank you in advance for taking a few minutes in order to provide this data to us. It will help us resolve this issue in a more expedient fashion. Thank you for being a part of the Arlo family!

Sincerely,

Dawn Marshall

Arlo Community Manager

Elynch
Guide
Guide
I did what was asked. I logged out of the app, logged back in and activated a camera. I DID get a notification.
According to others, this was short lived.
We shall see................
Glad to hear it’s a priority for NETGEAR.
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Elynch thank you for providing your results so quickly. Glad to hear it is now working, keep me posted as to whether it sticks 🙂

Jiminator
Tutor
Tutor

@DawnM

I also just tried your request.  I logged out of the app, logged back in and triggered two of my five cameras that are on my back deck.  Low and behold, I got both a audio push notification and also a banner notification on the Arlo App like I use to get.  Thanks for having engineering look into this.  Just hope you can get scheduling back to the way it was also!!  

I really like my system the way it was and was excited when JamesC said the new update had fixed the 2-way audio issue with IOS so that’s why I updated.  Didn’t expect to have other “issues” from the update.  Thanks for helping get these resolved!!

Caspers
Guide
Guide
I did not log out and in of the Arlo app today, though I did reset my modem and router earlier this morning. Now I’m receiving all the push alerts. Not sure the reset fixed it as I didn’t get all push alerts during the first 3 hours afterwards. Somehow it started working reliably hours later.
Rob198690
Star
Star
Same problem here with an iPhone 7, notifications randomly work about 10% of the time. How can Netgear continue releasing such buggy updates?
mzohaib
Tutor
Tutor
I did the steps. Step 2 didnt solve the issue so went to step 3. Got notifcations for a while, then stopped getting them. Restarted base station and still the same results. Notifications work for a while then dissapear.
Elynch
Guide
Guide
@DawnM
The notifications were short lived.
It worked once and now is not working again. 😕
Please keep us updated.
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Thank you all for providing expedient feedback, it is greatly appreciated. Keep it coming, I am feeding it back to Engineering real time 🙂