Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mmarfise
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am setting up two homes. One is the main home that has the base station. The second home is vacation home where I only need 1 camera.  I am using SmartThings to monitor both (SmartThings hub in 2 locations). If I connect all cameras to the Arlo base station (at home), I see that via SmartThings I can connect a camera or the base from the online Arlo profile on my second home.

If I just add the camera from the profile in SmartThings at the second home, will this work without a base station in the second home. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo And Arlo PRO cameras will not run without a base unit !...  The base unit sets up a wifi network that talks to the cameras only. Without the base the camera becomes a rock.

But there is no limit to the number of bases on any service level... you could run a second base and a single camera at the new location as long as the total number of cameras is within your service level

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo And Arlo PRO cameras will not run without a base unit !...  The base unit sets up a wifi network that talks to the cameras only. Without the base the camera becomes a rock.

But there is no limit to the number of bases on any service level... you could run a second base and a single camera at the new location as long as the total number of cameras is within your service level

Morse is faster than texting!
mmarfise
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks, that's a bummer, because it doesn't even look like they sell the base station standalone, and with SmartThings you would think you could just do a direct connect.