Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
seanmic
Follower
Follower

I would like to know if there would be any problems leaving the Arlo Pro camera hooked up to a charger continuously and while it is in use.  Something I was thinking of doing was to hook up a solar-enabled power bank to the camera for it to continuously be recharged so that it will never run out of power.  I would be doing this at a vacation property that I only visit once per year, and it's probable the arlo battery would drain before I am there to recharge.  My intent is for the waterproof solar-enabled powerbank to be mounted to the roof of the shed, while running the wire into the shed and hooking it up to the arlo pro cam that is mounted inside the shed. Thoughts are that the sun would charge the powerbank as power is drawn, and the powerbank would keep the arlo pro cam "topped up" so it never runs out of power.

Does anyone think this is theoretically possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not only is it possible, but Netgear has a solar panel coming out

How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

The Arlo Solar Panel makes using your Arlo Pro or Arlo Go Wire-Free cameras simpler than ever. Targeted market availability for the solar panel is early 2017.

The Arlo Solar Panel harvests energy from the sun to charge a connected Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera’s rechargeable battery. The weatherproof Arlo Solar Panel connects to the Micro-USB port on the Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera.
Note: An Arlo rechargeable battery must be inserted in the Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera for the solar panel to work.  

With the Arlo Solar Panel connected to the camera and receiving average sun exposure, your camera battery stays charged, so you don’t need to worry about recharging it. The solar panel is a great low-maintenance solution for outdoor camera installations in hard-to-reach areas.

Many thanks to our passionate Arlo Community, which submitted this idea on the Arlo Idea Exchange. Keep the ideas coming!

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Netgear has a solar panel already in the works but no release date yet.  The big issue would be the need for 9VDC to charge the battery, not 5VDC, which would only run the camera but not charge the battery.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not only is it possible, but Netgear has a solar panel coming out

How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

The Arlo Solar Panel makes using your Arlo Pro or Arlo Go Wire-Free cameras simpler than ever. Targeted market availability for the solar panel is early 2017.

The Arlo Solar Panel harvests energy from the sun to charge a connected Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera’s rechargeable battery. The weatherproof Arlo Solar Panel connects to the Micro-USB port on the Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera.
Note: An Arlo rechargeable battery must be inserted in the Arlo Pro or Arlo Go camera for the solar panel to work.  

With the Arlo Solar Panel connected to the camera and receiving average sun exposure, your camera battery stays charged, so you don’t need to worry about recharging it. The solar panel is a great low-maintenance solution for outdoor camera installations in hard-to-reach areas.

Many thanks to our passionate Arlo Community, which submitted this idea on the Arlo Idea Exchange. Keep the ideas coming!

Morse is faster than texting!
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Would it be possible to add a powerbank or solar charger as an alternative or back up power source for Arlo Q & Q Plus cameras & Arlo base?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Some folks have used USB batteries that can be charged at the same time as supplying power (not all do). That way the battery is always charged but will kick in with power loss, like a cheap UPS.