Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Aeëtes
Tutor
Tutor

Please help!  I cannot find any tech support and I am Deaf so I don't like to do phone calls.  I just received the Arlo 2 package of 5 cams and a base station.  Adding camera seems not to work, since I'm not seeing any video feed at all.  I see five blue lights blinking each one for each of the five cameras, but they're not adding to either my account inside arlo.com and the only Arlo app downloaded from App Store.  What am I doing wrong?

11 REPLIES 11
brh
Master
Master

@Aeëtes

Here is a link on how to install your cameras:

https://kb.arlo.com/1146973/How-do-I-set-up-and-sync-my-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-cameras

But in the meantime, starting from left to right what are the LEDs on the base station reading?

Take the batteries out of all the cameras,

Place the battery back in one camera so that you can sync them one at a time.

Press the sync button on the top of the base station. Immediately after that press the sync button on the one camera with the battery in it. If this works, do the same for each camera.

Let us know if that works or not.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Definitely only sync one camera at a time. While the base station camera LED blinks green, the camera LED should blink blue slowly after you briefly press the sync button and then blink quickly blue as it syncs to the base. It should then appear in your devices list. You will need to have already added your base station to your account first

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to use chat.

Aeëtes
Tutor
Tutor

That "contact support" is no live person support but only the labyrinthine forum where you can read other people's issues and solutions. I looked there and did not find solution to my issue.  My base station is also not showing. I keep rebooting and it still will not connect. 

Aeëtes
Tutor
Tutor

Right!! The base needs to be connected first before syncing the cameras. This is the problem: the system would not recognize the base. I was prompted to either start again or reset. I tried starting again and resetting. The base is connected to the router via Ethernet and my computer is connected to the same router. I have only one router. Now why is the base not connecting?

brh
Master
Master
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Aeëtes wrote:

Right!! The base needs to be connected first before syncing the cameras. This is the problem: the system would not recognize the base. I was prompted to either start again or reset. I tried starting again and resetting. The base is connected to the router via Ethernet and my computer is connected to the same router. I have only one router. Now why is the base not connecting?

Did you go into your app and click "+ Add Device" and try to add the Base Station?

Aeëtes
Tutor
Tutor

Some people do not have mobile phones. The system is set up for such persons to use the website www.arlo.com to create an account and set up the base and add cameras through this website. That failed for me. I'm wondering if it may be due to the electromagnetic field around the laden 10-socket power plug extension that the base is standing right next to. Tonight I will move the base away and see if that helps. By the way how do I get live support that would be authentic help?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Aeëtes wrote:

Some people do not have mobile phones. The system is set up for such persons to use the website www.arlo.com to create an account and set up the base and add cameras through this website. That failed for me. I'm wondering if it may be due to the electromagnetic field around the laden 10-socket power plug extension that the base is standing right next to. Tonight I will move the base away and see if that helps. By the way how do I get live support that would be authentic help?

Yes. The website should take you to a link otherwise you can go directly to arlo.netgear.com for the arlo interface.

Does your device list show the base station?

The base-camera connection can be subject to interference but normally that's from other 2.4GHz sources. Still worth a try moving the base station though.
Live support is only available at certain times of the day. Netgear, in their infinite wisdom, decided to remove the live chat button completely outside of support hours rather than do something like leave the button there but have it grayed out during times where a support agent is not available

Aeëtes
Tutor
Tutor

Yes thank you!  You're right, arlo.netgear.com, not arlo.com that I quickly wrote on the go.  I saw that once I got back home and signed in, the base and one linked cam were there under Devices. After adding all cams, of course I did some tests.  The one irksome thing is that these home security cams do not work well through windows especially with screens due to the red lights around the camera scope.  Some persons may not want to leave the expensive cameras outside in some areas of a city.  Along the sides and over the top of the camera scope, you would see several red lights flicker and project light onto window glass.  The light interferes with viewing outdoors through the window.  So, just cut a little piece of paper with a U shaped hole in the middle.  Place the paper on the camera side of the Arlo device and cover those red lights, with the U hole running down so you can see the scope (eye) and the dark block below it.  I think the block is for motion scanning.  Tape the paper in place before you look.  The video feed blinks like wacky while you place paper so do not watch that part.  Then you go into the setting of each camera to turn off the night mode, and voilà you can see outside much better through window glass.  That way we can keep the cameras inside the home.  Let's see about scanning.. if it still works with the paper taped over the camera.  Any thoughts, comment, or feedback?  Perhaps this would be a tidbit for future models.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can turn off the IR illuminators in the camera settings under "Night Vision"

The cameras work on PIR motion sensors so will not work through glass to sense motion and will very poorly work through window screens. They are designed to be installed outdoors to be view the outdoors, hence why they're waterproof(ish). The only way I'd have a camera indoors looking out would be to have the night vision off and to have it right up against the glass to reduce reflections and have at least one other Arlo camera (or maybe the upcoming security light) outside and have it trigger the indoor camera