Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Data Usage - On Mobile Hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kylesfishin
Follower
Follower

I live in a rural area, where my only source of internet is a home wifi hotspot, with limited amounts of data. I can get plans anywhere from 5 gb to 25 gb a month, but I'm looking at the 12 gb a month based on cost. 

My questions are:

1. Would the Arlo Pro system work with the home wifi, with only 12 gig of data a month? The data would only be used for uploading video to the cloud, because I have unlimited data on my cell phone to watch the videos. 

2. How many minutes of video recording/upload would I get from 12 gig of data a month? I know it would depend on the quality of the video as well, so I'm curious what it might be at different video quality settings.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

On the Pro and Arlo cameras, they use about 1MB per ten sec video clip so you can estimate your needs from there.

1) Yes, I would set the Pro cameras for a short duration and do my best to eliminate false triggers that record nothing but would waste data.
2) See above, a quick calc would put one min of video at 6MB+ ... If you had 100/ 60 sec videos per month It would be 600MB+ 
(Or 3 + per day.) Spec use for battery life is <5 min per day of videos
I don't see an issue with 12 GB per month for uploading as long as your thruput ( esp uploading ) exceeds the min of 1MBs.  Slow Uploads speeds can cause issues
PS there is some additional data that would flow from the base like commands and LIVE viewing so you have to limit the live viewing or you could easily double your data usage...
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also... the Hotspot device would need an ethernet port for the base to plug into

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Actually your hotspot does not need an ethernet port. I use a VZ mifi and a range extender for the base.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No.. in your method, the hotspot does not need an ethernet port .... but the wifi extender will

Either way ONE etherent port is required