Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to place cameras without them being stolen?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Shuroro92
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello all. I want to install my Arlo pro cameras in the front yard. But the thing is that I don't want them to be stolen. I don't want to put them on a tree.

I have the screw mounts but someone can just unscrew them. I was thinking about putting up decoy cameras but maybe it won't help.

I came up with putting them under the overhead of my roof. But someone can just unscrew them easily. Any suggestions? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If someone wants them, there's little to stop them. Sometimes "security by obscurity", i.e. making the cameras small and obscure enough to not have someone even notice them, works, other times it doesn't.  ANy camera can be stolen or disabled if the person is motivated sufficiently.

A threaded mount along with a short cable to connect things together may or may not help.  Placing the camera too high can be an issue all by itself since it may not work adequately for your usage.  It depends on your level of paranoia as well as the likelihood of someone actually taking the time to take the camera.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

At least if the cameras are armed, you will have them on video.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

GoPro makes tripod mounts and they do fit Arlo.  With that mount you can then use any of the GoPro mounts with clamps.  I am thinking of using one so I can clamp a camera onto my gutter and get a better view. That being said, unless a thief brings a ladder along, it would be pretty hard to steal.

Shuroro92
Aspirant
Aspirant
Not paranoia, but because there is a genuine fear of someone who is carless about their actions. So I want to be as careful as possible.