Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

If I turn on the motion dection mode on and I'm home all day what will happen?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Surfer949
Tutor
Tutor

If I turn on the motion dection mode on and I'm home all day what will happen?   Will the camera record every movement and my 7 days of free cloud storage will fill up fast?  What if I plug a power usb to the camera, will the battery last?

5 REPLIES 5
SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Surfer949 wrote:

If I turn on the motion dection mode on and I'm home all day what will happen?  

It will record whenever you trigger it, by movement or sound, depending on where the camera is and what rules you've set to start recording.

Will the camera record every movement and my 7 days of free cloud storage will fill up fast?

As far as I know, you have 7 days of free cloud storage no matter how much you record.  There might be a limit on it, but it doesn't look like it at http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/subscription-plans.aspx

What if I plug a power usb to the camera, will the battery last?

If you are powering your camera via usb, it will not need to use the battery.  That's what we do and then have the battery serve as a backup in case of power failure.   On that note, it is also recommended you put your Arlo base unit and router on a UPS so they have power as well in the event of an outage.

Surfer949
Tutor
Tutor

My primary need for the camera is to contineously record when someone is at home (nanny and kid).  I know the Arlo Q has this feature but I really like the Arlo Pro. I don't want to use the CVR feature since it requires a paid subcription.  I would only need recording for 8 hours then recording could be overwrited for more storage.

SallyC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Pro won't continuously record, per se, but if you set it up to record with motion in a room you're in (or your nanny) it will be recording their movements.  You can also edit the length of the recording time (see this KB). 

If you only want it to record during certain hours, you can set up the Mode to use Schedule and put in the hours you need (see this KB).

Surfer949
Tutor
Tutor

Will I get a annoying alert if I set motion detect?  What if I have two camera covering the same room, will both camera record?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes but alerts can be turned off

yes, bit cameras should reord if they detect motion

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------