Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"This Arlo device is offline" when camera is moved outside

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
securigy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I followed Arlo Pro installation procedures to the letter ( I am software engineer) and while Arlo was in the vicinity of the base station it was streaming and recording the video...However, when I placed it ouside the house it stopped working...I tried re-sync both Arlo and the base station at no avail...then I brought Arlo back in and get it working again in the vicinity of the base station. Then I waled with Arlo outside - on the way out, after about 25 feet arlo stopped working (based on recorded video) and my screen again says that "This Arlo device is offline"... So is it true that effective range of your WiFi base station is 25 feet? (my base station is on the second floor of a single-family house).

At this point I cannot use Arlo for its intended purpose - to monitor the front outside since my router is on the 2nd floor at the back of the house...what if I get WiFi access point and locate it in front of the house and connect the base station to that access point with CAT5. In your experience will this solution work?

Leon

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Range is only a max of 300 ft with line of sight.... Going thru walls , floors, duck work,etc can be very limiting at times.

Now the only true way to expand coverage is with more than one base....but if you can centrally locate the base so it works where you place the cameras that  is fine.

There are two ways...1) use Ethernet cable up to 100m 2) use a wifi extender ( with a port)  or secondary access point to hook the bases cable into

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the house construction?  Folks with stucco houses have found that the wire mesh supporting the stucco is a real issue.

securigy
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a typical California house, and yes, there is a stucco layer on the outside.

However, as I described, arlo works in close vicinity and stops working when I walk out of the room and am still in the house - about 25 feet from the base station - when I start walking down on the stairs from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor....Therefore, "stucco theory" is not applicable here...

BTW, I can take my laptop outside and it works fine - wireless;y connected to my router inside...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Of course, the laptop's WiFi isn't the same as Arlo WiFi. There could be a hardware issue with either the camera or base or construction issues can be an issue. Maybe​ repositioning the base, maybe​ 90 degrees or a couple ​of feet or more, would be useful. Trial and error may be needed.

widget1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today one camera went off line have had for two months what to do

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a lot of directions found here with a search. A quick summary is to power cycle the base, reinsert the camera battery, make sure the battery is charged and possibly resync the camera.