Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Indoor/Outdoor Mount

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

I cant beleive that I am unable to currently buy the new mount for my Arlo Pro Cameras!....The "old" mount blocks the USB port and nips on the silicone sleeves, the new mount has a much smaller/redesigned locking nut on it!

I have 2 cameras now sitting as paperweights until the correct mounts get released!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

ahhhhh finally received my new nuts! Smiley Very Happy, and in Black as well they do exist! Now i can get my 2 paperweights installed!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

surfer1000,

If you currently own the VMA1000 outdoor security mount with the larger locking nut and you need a smaller locking nut for your Arlo Pro cameras, this can be provided by support. Please contact the Arlo Support Team. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Hi James, I spent 45mins on chat window with support who didn't even know the smaller fitting existed, I had to give them there own part no and even provide photos of the new part and still were none the wiser! I then telephoned UK support who basically were the same and just eventually told me the new mounts were not released yet! The lady from the chat window said she would escalate my problem and someone would email or call me within 48hrs, which hasn't expired yet. But it don't hold much hope, hence my post here.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

surfer1000,

I apologize for the poor experience. I will review your case and request an update on the status of your replacement part. I will provide an update as soon as I can.

JamesC

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James,

I purchased an Arlo Pro set from Costco (AVM4000C), and the included outdoor mount had a "narrow and tall" plastic tightening nut (about 1/2" in diameter) compared to "flat and wide" ones I have seen for the outdoor mounts available for sale in stores and online.  The nut seems better designed to not block the charge port, and also part of the nut actually fits snugly inside the thread opening (to make a better water seal?). 

(for some strange reason, all online pictures of the Outdoor mount, including those on the Costco website, show the old "wider" lock nut for the regular Arlo)

It has been troublesome finding additional outdoor mounts for my Arlo Pro cameras, and I have cancelled orders left and right because I am not sure whether the tightening nuts fit correctly.  So far, I have only seen Outdoor Mount part numbers VMA1000-10000S (white) and VMA1000B-10000S (black), and all of them show the "flat and wide" plastic lock nut. 

Does Netgear have another outdoor mount (like the one included in the Costco bundle) with the "smaller" lock nut specifically designed for the Arlo Pro? 

In addition to the resigned locking nut, it would be nice if Netgear released a mount which can actually be locked or strapped to the camera; camera theft is a big issue for me, especially since I have a single-story house with low ceilings. 

FYI, there are some other threads regarding this problem as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/ISO-Pro-style-1-4-20-tightening-nuts-for-use-with-standard...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/USB-connection-and-screw-mount-on-Arlo-Pro/td-p/1158236

Thank you.

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

surfer1000 wrote:

I cant beleive that I am unable to currently buy the new mount for my Arlo Pro Cameras!....The "old" mount blocks the USB port and nips on the silicone sleeves, the new mount has a much smaller/redesigned locking nut on it!

I have 2 cameras now sitting as paperweights until the correct mounts get released!

surfer1000, I am in the same predicament; I want to get some additional outdoor mounts (in black), to match with certain areas of my house, but can't find the Arlo-Pro redesigned style anywhere (for standalone purchase).  Until then, my cameras are also paperweights taking videos of one another inside the house.

Did you buy the Arlo Pro Costco Bundle, too?  It comes with the outdoor mount with the smaller locking nut, but only one set, in white.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, no I bought a 4 pack from Amazon UK, which only has 1 indoor/outddor mount supllied. Im using this white one, and one magnetic mount so still have 2 cameras as paperweights waiting for Netgear to supply me 2 new BLACK locking thumb nuts to replace those on the old style mounts!

This cost me £820 on the 10th Febuary and here we are now on 14th March and I still have 2 of my cameras doing nothing, the lack of knowledge on this from Netgear support is atrocious!

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

surfer1000 wrote:

Hi, no I bought a 4 pack from Amazon UK, which only has 1 indoor/outddor mount supllied. Im using this white one, and one magnetic mount so still have 2 cameras as paperweights waiting for Netgear to supply me 2 new BLACK locking thumb nuts to replace those on the old style mounts!

This cost me £820 on the 10th Febuary and here we are now on 14th March and I still have 2 of my cameras doing nothing, the lack of knowledge on this from Netgear support is atrocious!

The new style you mention is like this, right?

OutdoorMount02.jpg

Old style like this?

OtherMount.jpg

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Without getting out my ladder, Yes...i believe that's correct.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

yes that's it the new style mount!....although I need 2 in BLACK

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

surfer1000 wrote:

yes that's it the new style mount!....although I need 2 in BLACK

Good to know we're on the same page.  🙂

I contacted Netgear support, and just received a reply; it seems their solution is to send me the new plastic tightening nuts, just like your case.  I guess that's all I can do for now.

On another note, have you heard anything regarding the metal used for these mounts?  I saw a picture somewhere in which there was rust in the metal area just below the thread.  That's not very promising, especially if it's designed to be used outdoors.  Then again, there may not be any way to prevent this.

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

manofice wrote:

Without getting out my ladder, Yes...i believe that's correct.

Thanks.  Now need to get those new plastic nuts.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

They could use 316L grade stainless for the part,  that would take along time to rust (10+years),  I for one would pay more for that. The current part just seems to be BZP (bright zinc plate) which won't take that long to rust 2years I reckon,  I live on the coast so well see.  

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary

ahhhhh finally received my new nuts! Smiley Very Happy, and in Black as well they do exist! Now i can get my 2 paperweights installed!

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice

surfer1000 wrote:

Great to hear!  🙂  I'm waiting for mine.  Hope everything works out for you.

proberts
Aspirant
Aspirant

One would think Netgear could get their act together on the new outdoor mounts.  They include one in the Arlo Pro 4 pack, but none in the 2 pack.  Then we can't locate them at any local stores.  Very poor treatment of customers who've already purchased their cameras, IMHO.  

Secondly they sell a backup battery that requires a charging dock that isn't available.  

I have purchased the 4 pack and a 2 pack.  Had planned to purchase more for other properties I own, but will probably try another company's security cameras now.  Very POOR customer treatment indeed.  Lost respect for Netgear after using their networking products for years.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

proberts,

The outdoor security mount is currently available through many retailers and online, for more information click the Buy Now link here: Outdoor Security Mount in White (VMA1000)

I have requested an update on the availability of the Arlo Pro charging station, I will post an update once I have more information.

JamesC

proberts
Aspirant
Aspirant

The one I purchased and returned to the store wasn't the same at the one that came with the Arlo Pro 4 pack.  It was model VMA1000-100.

If that is the correct mount for an Arlo Pro, what are the comments about needing wingnuts with that mount? 

The two photos listed above are different, just like the mount I had that came with the 4 pack and the one I bought later at the store.

bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice
It appears that all the mounts sold online and in stores are the "old version" designed for the original Arlo, to which the mount attaches from the bottom. These versions have a wider locking nut which, if used with the Arlo Pro, block the USB charge port since the Pro has both the charge port adjacent to the mounting thread.

What myself and surfer1000 have done is open a support ticket regarding the mounts, and request that they send you the new nuts. After explaining the situation to support, I received them promptly.
bibik
Apprentice
Apprentice
The new nuts are like those in the top picture (which is of the mount included in the Pro camera packs). They are narrower, so they don't block the charge port, and have that small "lip" which fits the mount screw better.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If that's a 1/4-20 thread, then all you need to do is go to your local hardware store and buy a stainless steel nut. It will accomplish the same thing. It's what I did with my aftermarket mount. In fact if you double up on the nuts, you can use one to hand tighten against the camera body and the other to stop the first nut from loosening.

A small rubber oring or washer between the nut and the camera body will also create a cushion and keep the nut from backing off the camera body.