Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor lighting with Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

If we can't post links to other products, please feel free to delete.

I have been turning my outdoor lights on and off at night to provide more light to the cameras.  I have a motion detect solar light (dim all night, bright with motion) but wanted better light all night long.  I replaced the bulbs with these (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PWGTCD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) simply so I wouldn't have to remember to turn them on and off every day.  Was not expecting them to be anywhere near as bright as they are.  The replaced 75 watt bulbs and are considerably brighter. IMO too bright to be used indoors. Greatly improved the quality of the video.

5 REPLIES 5
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Another good choice is to get smart bulbs that emit infrared light. This will increase how well the camera sees at night. I have the LIFX+ smart bulbs. These emit 950nm of infrared light, even when they are not on, which helps the camera see at night whether there is a light on or not. And since it's a smart bulb you can use the LIFX app (or smartthings) to schedule the lights to come on at sunset and go off at sunrise or schedule however you want.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary

I had looked at those but I decided light that a human can see is a better deterrent than light they can't see.  I didn't want any more "stuff" hanging in front of my house so I had to choose which for my purpose was better.  Just got 3 solar chargers for the Arlo's and am trying to figure out where to place them so they aren't as noticable yet still get sun.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

The LIFX+ bulbs do normal LED light as well as infrafred light for the camera. You get your deterrent light that humans see and infrared light for your camera as well. Not to mention, the LIFX bulbs are the brightest smart bulbs in the market.

LIFX+ (does white, color, and infrared all in one bulb)

White light: 2500K - 9000K / 1100 lumens

Color light: 16 million colors available / 1100 lumens

Infrared light: 950nm infrared light on 24/7 (as long as the bulb is powered, dosen't need to be turned on)

The lights are availble in A19 E26 edison screw so they fit in an standard light fixture, no need for anything extra.

DoriJC
Luminary
Luminary
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Nope, that's the regular LIFX. Regular LIFX doesn't due infrared. LIFX+ (LIFX Plus) does. Down side........ expensive. $79.99.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFX-Infrared-Adjustable-Multicolor-Dimmable/dp/B01KY02MOW/ref=sr_1_1?s=boost...