Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Brian0613
Guide
Guide

I bought a set of 4 Arlo Pro Cameras. It came with a single charger. I would like to have all 4 units continuously powered since I often leave home for 6+ months at a time. I am unable to buy just the charger without buying an additional battery or dual charging station. Am I missing something? Other USB power adapters do not work because Arlo seems to use a custom configuration. I am not sure if the customization is in the cord or the AC adapter. Can I buy just the Charger?

85 REPLIES 85
kbhit
Star
Star

I think you are confused so let me clarify.  KenHull was asking 'when' the power cord was going to be made available.  I think that's a FAIR question especially with his ladder concern.  You mention that these are battery operated when in fact they are really 'optionally' battery operated.  That is, you can run them (a) with NO battery at all  (b) with a battery PLUS usb power  (c) with a battery only.  Your argument ignores (a) and (b) which would help reduce KenHull's need to use a ladder as often.  I hope this helps you put KenHull's concern and many others in perspective.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"I think you are confused so let me clarify.  KenHull was asking 'when' the power cord was going to be made available.  I think that's a FAIR question especially with his ladder concern.  You mention that these are battery operated when in fact they are really 'optionally' battery operated.  That is, you can run them (a) with NO battery at all  (b) with a battery PLUS usb power  (c) with a battery only.  Your argument ignores (a) and (b) which would help reduce KenHull's need to use a ladder as often.  I hope this helps you put KenHull's concern and many others in perspective."

Well here is the easiest and lest expensive solution. Like I said in an earlier post, just get a micro usb cord and power adapter. Easily under $10 each and just silicone the microconnector where it goes into the camera.

Problem solved.

And I just saved everyone about $20 for each outdoor adapter they don't need now. (assuming the adapter is around $30)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

In reply to the responses I received on the simple question of “when” will the VMA4700 be available. I would like to thank you for your replies.

Jguerdat: Yes, I was aware that they are battery operated and I am also aware that they can be powered from an outdoor power source using VMA4700. I did view many questions and answers on this community and printed out the manual for the Arlo Pro system before making my purchase. I could be wrong but I think you replied to kbhit think it was me KenHull and yes, I did realise they were battery operated and would require ladders but under the premise they would last 4 months. Needless to say they have required charging sooner than expected.

Kbhit: I appreciate your reply and your intervention to clarify my question. I do the same as you. I have outside cameras also thus my question as to when. I will be waiting for the proper outdoor power cord as it has a right angle mini USB connector for the camera. I have found that the straight micro USB power adapter that comes with the camera gets in the way of the camera support screw. I would also suspect that using an indoor power adapter outdoors would invalidate the warranty.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

"Kbhit: I appreciate your reply and your intervention to clarify my question. I do the same as you. I have outside cameras also thus my question as to when. I will be waiting for the proper outdoor power cord as it has a right angle mini USB connector for the camera. I have found that the straight micro USB power adapter that comes with the camera gets in the way of the camera support screw. I would also suspect that using an indoor power adapter outdoors would invalidate the warranty."

Netgear did not design the screw mount and usb port far enough away from one another.

With that being said, I still managed to mount it but needed to replace the "screw down foot" with a stainless steel nut and a rubber washer so that it cleared the aftermarket "straight" USB connector.

As for the warranty. If you don't tell anyone, they won't know.

You don't need a $30 outdoor power adapter unless you need to have the batteries in them to charge in case you lose power. The adapter has a tighter connecter which fits into the recess in the camera making it so called weatherproof. No different than a bead of silicone. As for the power pack, it isn't any more weatherproof than a USB charger. You need a weatherproof outlet. Here's a charger for $5.00.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro-USB-Travel-Charger/dp/B00D8YYI5S/ref=sr_1_29?s=wireless&ie=UTF...

Devonhelps
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hoping someone help. I live a distance away from cameras as to help check on elderly father. Installed 3 arlo pros, connected all with batteries but 1 with power cable too as battery wasn't charged. Camera worked fine for a night but now not. Is it possible once the battery was fully charged it decided couldn't be on power? Its frustrating as worked until I got miles away. Using power cable that came with system. 1 other battery stopped too so will have to get more power as discussed earlier in this thread but wondered if anyone else had an issue having battery in camera & proper power. Thanks
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that the battery was't the problem but the camera.  Without some testing, we don't know for sure.  

You may be able to remotely power cycle the base (Settings, My Devices, your base, Restart at the bottom). to see if that helps.  If not, physical presence may be needed.  Can your father assist, at least to a limited degree, or a caretaker?  We can provide steps to take to troubleshoot if so.

Devonhelps
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi I have rebooted base unit a few times remotely. My father not really able to help, coming out of hospital today but could possibly ask a carer at some point. Frustrating as installed new system Tuesday fine. Had no issue with old system just batteries used too quickly so hoped rechargeable or powered would help plus audio big bonus for helping with dad. Upset batteries discharged so quick will have to connect to power permanently I think, although wanted to use outside later in year so can check on him in garden.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a variety of things that can cause poor battery life.  It may be you have a system with multiple issues or it could simply be placement (signal strength).  Someone has to be able to check things locally or be able to pack the system up and swap at the store for a fresh install.

Devonhelps
Aspirant
Aspirant
I received via Amazon on Tuesday, already sold old system on. Don't really want to stop whole thing for 1 camera (maybe 2) I will try to be at camera site soon. Is it likely just needs resynchronizing? Also don't know any stores that sell them.
Rnrpn
Guide
Guide

My arlo pro base station has lost power after five days. I think the adapter cord is faulty...but I can't get netgear to send me a new one as I'm in Australia. I bought the system off eBay and net gear support is less then useless to say the least! Can anyone help?? 

Devonhelps
Aspirant
Aspirant
First i would check what the eBay seller says. If new or reconditioned system that was sold to you. Also what returns policy is (if any). If new then should be under warranty but if possible I would return. Sorry not really much help. My issue wasn't power as such but batteries not charged & disconnection from WiFi. It seems the microwave upset the signal. Good luck with your cable. If real issues returning then try looking for old phone charger like Nokia but hope warranty best option if so new.
Rnrpn
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the info, went through all my old chargers and found one that fit, it seems the netgear provide was the issue in this case....I'm just hoping the system keeps working now. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Folks need to remember that purchasing many items from a different country will introduce warranty return issues. If you're up for that, go for it.  It's not a Netgear problem, it's yours.

GregBrady
Aspirant
Aspirant
I trimmed the end of a samsung fast charger cable to fit the camera and it does charge the camera.
hionhifi
Guide
Guide

FYI: techbargains.com has the aukey quick charger that works with the Arlo Pro on sale $7.05.  

Gidmo
Guide
Guide
I bought a 4 camera Arlo Pro bundle. With the batteries installed, I powered them from a regular USB charger via micro USB cable. 3 out of 4 cameras showed battery charging and were working. The one gave an error that battery is not charging. But it seemed to be live. Why this variance?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem that you're using chargers with varying capabilities.  A regular 5v charger will run the cameras but not charge them.  A charger that conforms to Qualcomm's Quick Charge capability with 5v and 9v will charge the batteries.

Gidmo
Guide
Guide
Actually I used the same adapter and USB cable to test each camera. This tells me that one camera has something different from the other 3, which is puzzling:-) I wonder if therre is a difference in the batteries
Brian0613
Guide
Guide

I think the different battery level will make for a different message response. If the battery is fully charged it will not require the 9V required to charge. If the battery is not fully charged, it will display a message about it not being the correct adapter. As jguerdat indicated, you will need an adapter that provides the 9V circuit. I bought the Samsung EP-TA315CWEGUS from Best Buy and it works the same as the Arlo adapter. It contains the required 9V circuit. I wish Arlo would sell only the adapter but if you buy it from them you will need to pay for an unwanted battery and other unwanted components.

Gidmo
Guide
Guide
Ok Git it. Thanks. So the USB adapter should support Qualcomm quick charge 3.0?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Not sure 3.0 is needed but not positive. Probably safest to use the latest version.
Gidmo
Guide
Guide
What about micro USB cable? It has to be spacial that also carries 9V to the camera-right? I need atleast 10ft of this cable to reach an AC source. If this gets to be a hassle and expensive I might just run the cameras without the batteries
Brian0613
Guide
Guide

The cable is just a standard cable. Nothing special is required for the 9 volts. I bought a 10 ft and a 20 cable for under $5 each on amazon.

Gidmo
Guide
Guide
Awesome. Thnx
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't waste money on cheap cables since they use smaller wire gauges that can limit their usefulness with the relatively high current needs of the cameras. I like to use cables designed for quick charge - search for quick charge USB cables.