Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Oldace
Follower
Follower

I am wondering if a release date is available yet for the ARLO PRO in Australia.

Cheers,

Oldace.

122 REPLIES 122
Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Hi fatrouni. Can you explain what a switchmode regulated plugpack is please. Have you got your pro's working now? Are you concerned about having no warranty or do you have international warranty? Cheers.
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Excellent buy fatrouni.  With the probably pricing on release here for those items you probably paid AUS $350 to $400 less than buying here at full retail in Oz.   And it came in under the mandatory $1000 GST level.

At those savings levels, however, even after July 1st when GST will be charged on all imported goods, Even taking the cost to about AUS$1000 if GST is charged will still be a significant savings for those not concerned about local warranty, ease of return etc.

fatrouni
Tutor
Tutor

Just getting back to a number of people.

In simple terms, a switchmode regulated plugpack is an AC adapter. The AC adapter that comes with the US Arlo Pro base station has a power input of 100 - 120V. It's designed to work with US power mains where the voltage is 120V. Mains voltage in Australia is 230V, so the AC adapter that comes with the US Arlo Pro base station simply won't work here.

Furthermore, the AC adapter that comes with the US Arlo Pro base station has a power output of 12V/1.5A. So if you use an alternative AC adapter like I have, it's critical that the power output is exactly the same (i.e. 12V/1.5A). I haven't completed my setup, but I can say that I've had no issues powering the base station with the switchmode regulated plugpack during testing. As long as the power output is the same, you shouldn't have any issues.

I'm hoping to complete my setup tomorrow. I simply ran out of time today and didn't want to position my cameras in the dark. So I can't say that it's all working, but I don't see any reason why it won't.

As for the warranty, I took a punt here. I've never had issues with any premium quality appliance during the warranty period. I use the words premium quality to distinguish the difference between something like Arlo Pro and let's say, a crappy oil column heater from Bunnings. Sure it might take longer to get things fixed if something were to go wrong, but I'm relaxed about the warranty and will cross that bridge if I ever get there. Some might disagree with my view, each to their own. But the big Aussie retailers use the whole warranty thing to create tension and some folks might find it too big a pain point to overcome. Not me, I won't buy that crap anymore. I can't justify paying 40% more than most other countries simply for the 'convenience'. It's widely known in the marketing world that Australian consumers have a high value perception, hence the inflated prices.

Mini007
Tutor
Tutor
Does the GST on imported goods apply to NZ as well
For goods under 1K?
Wolfriver
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would you not be able to simply send any faulty product back to the retailer you purchased from in the States?

Full-Throttle
Aspirant
Aspirant

For any of the Kiwi guys who have been waiting for this release forever (like me), I just noticed that Heathcotes have got the Arlo Pro on their website now. You'll DIE when you see the price, but so far they're the only retailer I've come across wiith them advertised in NZ. Hoping that once other stores get them in stock they may have an introductory price offer, or a sale over Easter Weekend. One can only but hope!

Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Can someone explain why it would be worthwhile getting the pro base station if i can alternatively simply get one or two or three pro cameras on their own and connect them to my old base? And have them operate alongside my old cameras. I'd still get the pro camera functionality right, such as microphone, rechargeables and improved motion detection? I just wouldn't have the pro base with its memory expansion and siren. Is that right? Perhaps this is a good option ... and just buy these from US somewhere. Any thoughts?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes to your questions.  As for purchasing out of country, warranty support is the biggie, with the need to return items to the country it was purchased in.

Phil_
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have just purchased the Arlo 3 camera system and claimed my 4th camera with the March offer from Netgear (likely to soften the realisation that the system has just been superseded). I purchased from JB Hifi but they price matched Scorptec who had the system significantly cheaper at $639 Vs. JB's $799 for the 3 camera option.

I'm shocked at the price of the pro system. I'm tempted to buy a pro add on from Amazon US before the GST changes. My only disappointment really is the low sensitivity of the motion detection so if that's improved I'd put that out front and the bonus of being rechargable would benefit this camera as it has the most detections.
LC_088
Tutor
Tutor

Ordered the Arlo Pro security camera kit (3 cameras) from Smarthome. Used the discount coupon OFC - super thanks to Fatrouni. Shipped by DHL Express, just took 3 days to arrive Brisbane, very fast.

System up and run today. Quite easy to setup and picture quality is excellent. As mentioned in Fatrouni's message, the only issue to use this US model in Aus is to get a 240V AC power supply for the base unit. I have a spare power adapter (from my old Netgear router) with the same output rating; problem solved. There's no need to worry about the charger for the batteries because it is a universal 110V/240V USB charger. 

I am looking to get an additional camera for the system if the cost including delivery is say <AU $250.

Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Hi LC_088. Sounds great. What did it cost you overall in Aussie dollars if you don't mind me asking?
Stunew78
Apprentice
Apprentice
All, I've been running the import from the US for 3 months. High quality. No issues. Do not throw your money away.
LC_088
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Mat_S, total cost for the 3 camera kit + shipping is about $700 in Australia Dollars.

Mini007
Tutor
Tutor
Hi LC_088,
Any custom duty charged for the import in Oz ?
LC_088
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Mini007, No custom duty charged. I think when the total cost of the import is less than AUD $1000, you should be OK atm, but not sure if they would count in the shipping cost or not. 

fatrouni
Tutor
Tutor

Hi LC_088

You're very welcome. I'm glad at least one person took benefit from the information I shared.

Wolfriver
Aspirant
Aspirant

I benefitted as well... thank you.

... ordered the 3-camera kit plus one ceiling mount. Total came to $742.02 at time of purchase (21st March).

I will be adding an Arlo Go once available as I want at least one camera independent of the modem.

fatrouni
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Wolfriver

Thanks mate, you're welcome.

I'll also say you're welcome in advance to anyone else who capitalises on my little exploit!

Mini007
Tutor
Tutor
Hi fatrouni,

Thanks to you - even I have placed an order, however they are out of stock for the 3 camera base so will have to wait...
vucko23
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi fatrouni,

Took advantage of the 20% discount 🙂

Can you please post a link to the Jaycar regulator that you're talking about?

Thanks

Tim4man
Tutor
Tutor

Hi fatrouni,

Thanks for you help on this one,  I too took advantage of the 20% discount.  Great find

Could you please post a link to the Jaycar regulator that you used?

I just want to get it right.

Thanks again.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Holy cr@p!! NZ$1549 for the 4 camera kit!! The same kit is US$649.99 from Best Buy. I guess I'll buy the 1 camera Pro kit here and will get add on cameras from the US. Add on cameras NZ$379 here or US$189. Ridiculous!

ckanair
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi fatrouni thanks for finding the deal. I am looking to order the same but wanted to clarify 2 things - 1/ for warranty to issues I am assuming the unit may have to be shipped to the US?
2/ have people confirmed they are able to use the cloud subscription in Australia?
I had ordered the nestcam from amazon a couple of months ago only to be told the cloud subscription was not available in Australia!
Thanks folks
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

No, the cloud service is NOT available on subscription basis outside the USA regardless of where you purchase the equipment.  Only the free 7 day rolling cloud storage is available.

So even if you have more cameras and want to pay, you can't do that. 

This is despite the packaging that says include 7 day free cloud service "+ Upgrade Options".

Especially galling if you have Q or Q+ which are capable of CVR or want to have more cameras without kluging together more than one account by sharing so you can see more than 5 cameras.

The future?  Who knows....   but Netgear doesn't have a positive track record yet on delivering those "future" features and upgrade options. Perhaps this will change. 

Mat_S
Guide
Guide
Silanah, that doesn't sound right. I'm in Australia and i can go into my settings now and buy one month of Premier with 10 cameras for 12.99/month. Do you mean that if i buy a camera from US and try to use it here, i cannot include it in my 10? That sounds odd. I am about to buy 2 pro's from US on this deal that everyone above is jumping on but if i cannot then add them to my existing 4 (happy to pay the Premier monthly cost) then i would be sorely disappointed. Can anyone confirm?