Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
rickengle
Star
Star

I recently replaced an Arlo rechargeable battery in an outside Arlo Pro with a new one.   Every since i did that 6 days ago, the battery level remains at 100% in the console and settings displays.   While I wish it was true as that would be incredible, that's impossible.   Any idea why the true battery level status isn't updating?  Is there anything I can do remotely to fix it?

Thanks,

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

It is definitely not an anomoly.  As guru mentioned, Netgear purposefully prevents the battery from getting to a true 100% in the camera itself to protect the battery (some actually use these cameras plugged in).  By using the tube, you are getting the full charge and therefore, you can expect longer run times.  I have a camera on the back gate of my house that's been at a 100% for nearly 5 weeks now, it doesn't see a lot of movement back there.  I assure you, it's working as designed. You will be pretty happy with the end result, and less ladder lugging to swap batteries.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

How did you charge the battery ??

If you used a charge tube the battery has a real 100% charge ( since in the camera it get only 80% to prvent damge if left plugged in long term )... the battery will seem to last a lot longer.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
rickengle
Star
Star

If the charge tube is the dedicated Arlo battery recharger then that's right as I had 2 live cameras, bought a recharger and a new battery, charged the new one using the recharger and replaced the outdoor battery with the new one.

I don't understand why day by day the charge is not depleting.

Rick

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't worry... it will, just take about 20% longer to drop.

If you use the charge tube you really get a full 100% charge... since a normal charge in the camera is 80% which read also as full or 100%, it's a sort of super charge and will read 100% longer than normal ( just a setting of the algorithm by the battery gauge )

Morse is faster than texting!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I can confirm this as well. I also have the external arlo charging tube and all my cameras batteries last a much longer time than before. My primary driveway camera stays at 100% almost 2 weeks now before starting to go down (which is awesome).  I definitely recommend the external charger. It's also a time saver as you can just climb up there with your fresh battery in hand, swap and then move on.  Works great. I'm averaging about 4 months of usage between charges from all my cameras except the driveway which tends to average about 3 months. It's much more active then the others.

rickengle
Star
Star

That's terrific to hear.   Glad it's not an anomaly.  I'll keep an eye on it see how long it actually lasts.   I got the external charger also to eliminate having to pull out and charge the depleted batteries.  I think I'll grab the batteries out of my other cameras and charge them with teh extrenal charger too since they all were initially just charged over teh USB cable.

Thanks,

Rick

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

It is definitely not an anomoly.  As guru mentioned, Netgear purposefully prevents the battery from getting to a true 100% in the camera itself to protect the battery (some actually use these cameras plugged in).  By using the tube, you are getting the full charge and therefore, you can expect longer run times.  I have a camera on the back gate of my house that's been at a 100% for nearly 5 weeks now, it doesn't see a lot of movement back there.  I assure you, it's working as designed. You will be pretty happy with the end result, and less ladder lugging to swap batteries.