Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
cherilync
Follower
Follower

Since 5.11.18, all of my Arlo Pro cameras have been saying "Update your camera's firmware now" so I clicked on the green Update Camera button to do so. Then, it says "Base station firmware updating...Firmware update in progress. Do not remove batteries". But it immediately goes back to the "Update your camera's firmware now" display again.

I tried 1) replacing and resyncing the cameras 2) logging in and out of my Arlo account on my phone. 3) logging in on the PC and trying to update gets me "Are you sure you want to update to 1.092.0.13_19715?" so I click Update. Then I get "Firmware update in progress. Do not remove batteries." After that, it says "base_station_error_4403".

Resolution:  Turned the base station off and on, then performed the update while logged in on your PC.  At least that is what worked for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

To this day I am still not certain whether this was solve automatically or not, for me it does not matter as much as the result - the system works again.

It would be troubling to me if in fact you were correct and this would have automatically resolved, this because that is not what Tech Support informed me. They kept asking me to be there, log onto the local network, bring cameras (some installed high in trees) down and set them nearby the Base Station, etc. That had me very concerned. 

Again the problem has been solved, so if this happens again I will give it several days to resolve before calling tech support.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

This is a Netgear Arlo Engineering snafu involving Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras. 

I am having similar problems. The views and functions of several cameras installed at a home far away cannot be accessed because they are tied up by some "Update Camera" message. When I click the button to update then an error message "base_station_error_4403" comes up.

In the control software I selected the Base Station ("My Devices / Base Station Settings"), then ordered it to restart. But after the Base Station restarted that has not resolved anything.

Netgear Tech Support (as of today anyway) advised that one needs to be at the location to perform the updatet. They advise (and those of you reading this who are near the cameras are lucky):

1. to control updates from mobile phone or from a computer, one has to be where the location where cameras are, then connect to the same local network the cameras are on.
2. if accessing through a mobile app, then make sure mobile data is turned off on cell phone, only the cell phone's local Wi-Fi would be on.
3. Power down then restart the Base Station

4. Next make sure cameras are near to the Base Station. They suggested some feet away.

5. Then select update.

6. You may have to 'Power Cycle' cameras too - remove their battery, wait 10-15 secs, then reinstall battery.

Netgear Tech Support's proposed solution is IMPRACTICAL for me (and many others) as I am no where near the home that is monitored by my Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras. I only visit this home a few times a year, it is about 1,000 miles away! Nobody else is in the home to do this update.

I explained to them 1. my cameras were working fine before Netgear stepped in with this update scheme, 2. because of Netgear's choice (and no choice given to the customer) my Arlo home security system is basically locked up, 3. I am not anywhere nearby to climb ladders and pull cameras to near the Base Station. 

I am not litiguous, but I asked Netgear Arlo Tech Support to WARN Netgear's engineering and legal team to expect lawsuits if customer's properties are damaged because of this choice and process by Netgear.

Netgear Arlo people caused this problem for its customers, Netgear to come up with a practical remedy, and do it sooner rather than later.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

As a followup, on the afternoon of the next day (14 May) I logged into the Arlo app, and checked the cameras. I was relieved to find that all four of my previously stalled Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras are now working. Each is showing a "Live" button instead of "Update". I took screen shots of each just to be sure.

I am not sure if this was a normal, automatic fix performed by their firmware or if it was some extra effort on the part of Netgear Technical Support, but for either reason I am grateful.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Once again, the talented Arlo Software Engineers has a plan for us all or some of us... To Destroy what's been fixed already.. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can manually try to update when the offer is made in the interface but automatic updates occur in the early morning hours with no intervention needed.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

To this day I am still not certain whether this was solve automatically or not, for me it does not matter as much as the result - the system works again.

It would be troubling to me if in fact you were correct and this would have automatically resolved, this because that is not what Tech Support informed me. They kept asking me to be there, log onto the local network, bring cameras (some installed high in trees) down and set them nearby the Base Station, etc. That had me very concerned. 

Again the problem has been solved, so if this happens again I will give it several days to resolve before calling tech support.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
My Arlo pro base station is offline and Arlo is telling me because the latest firmware has issues I need to grab all my cameras and reset and start over reconfiguring everything. That's unacceptable and I am waiting for level 2 to call me back. I now have to get laders out and gather all the cameras. All because they had a firmware issue and now my base station won't connect to the internet but is still recording to the local attached hard drive. This is crazy and there needs to be a better way.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on your base showing - 3 green ones? Have you tried both the app and a computer browser?

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

I get all 3 green lights, but then once in a while the middle one BLINKS and then once i n a while it goes AMBER (offline) and then back to solid green. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Blinking is normal (network access) but going amber indicates a loss of connection with the servers. Whether that's due to your equipment, your ISP, the Internet or the servers is the hard part to discern. Try a power cycle of the base and router just to eliminate those as potential issues.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

ive power cycled everything a number of times.  I was on the phone with LEVEL 1 support and they had me do that twice.  Then told me "IT COULD" be the firmware but could be something else.  I wish NETGEAR would tell us what is going on....We also were not getting notifications before this happened (there was info from netgear in regards to this).  I just powered cycled the base station to see if it would be resolved (before I saw the notice about the notification issue) and thats when this OFFLINE issue started....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A last ditch effort also eliminates more troubleshooting time - reset the system and start fresh. PITA, I know.

Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices. Claim the base with the Add Device button in the Devices tab. Sync the cameras. Verify firmware is up to date.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

Without having to gather all the cameras, is there a way to sync them from where they are mounted?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've been able to press the base sync button and scoot to the camera to press that sync button with the camera in place. So far, 100% works. YMMV.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

I just reset everything and had the base station back on the account and 2 cameras and then OFFLINE.  I called support who had me remove my base station from my account and now I am back to the same issue where I cannot adcd the base station back.  THey have me on hold trying to figure out what to do....

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

Now they are trying to tell me I need a new base station and I have to send mine back and then get a new one from them.  I told them its NOT a bad base station and to look in the forum to see everyone with the issue.  They then tell me comcast has closed ports or I have bad cables etc.  I didnt change anything.  I told them to go find a level 2 person who did NOT call me back last night.  Anyone know how to resolve as the reset the tech last night told me did NOT solve the issue.

Sorry for my many posts  but I want this fixed...

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

Now I told to put a hold on my credit card so they can send me a NEW base station and no one can tell me that that will even fix the issue... I gave support hell.  They told me 24 hours for someone to call me back before they can send me anything