Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What happens when your internet and power goes out?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MunteanuBogdan
Guide
Guide

I'm a little bit confused, i tried some scenario when internet or power goes down and i want to know if is some possibility to receive push notification about this?
Also i try a scenario when internet is down and Arlo Pro start record on local backup (USB FLASH DRIVE), after internet comes back I don`t recive any notification about this recorded videos on local backup (USB FLASH DRIVE) and i obbserv that videos recorded without internet on local storage device dosen`t sync on cloud, you don`t know if you have new videos recorded on local backup because you are not recive notification about that...

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It's fairly simple....

1) if power goes down , your out of luck it's NG...  recommend a UPS for the base unit at minimum ( add modem/router if able esp for remote locations )

2) If the internet goes down, you get no clould recording or emails or pushes... these rely on the servers getting notices

3) with the PRO base if set up with usb drive/speedstick, it will continue to record files to the USB drive if powered ( see#1 )

4) nothing is forwarded to the cloud after internet comes back up, no files are sent to the cloud, no pushes, etc...only what is on the usb drive remains

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MunteanuBogdan
Guide
Guide

Thanks for replay.

4) nothing is forwarded to the cloud after internet comes back up, no files are sent to the cloud, no pushes, etc...only what is on the usb drive remains

Tell me how do you know when  to look at your usb storage if you don`t recive any notification that say someting like this: "Hello, your internet was down chacke your usb storage to see what is new...".If you have UPS, only internet gose down and camera start record on your local storage USB after internet comes up you don`t know if you have new videos stored on you USB Devices or if was any activity recorded...

I think is a base function to sync all videos in cloud.

I think you need to recive notification about new videos recorded offline on local storage.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't as many times the system will come back up.... but as with many many scenarios , you usu notice the issue like damage or things moved re property

IMO, it's better to have captured than not if needed...

You "wants" would be good to be posted in the wish list area that Netgear looks at  ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange

Morse is faster than texting!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I posted in the wishlist on this exact symptom. I believe it should have some type of notification when power is restored or at the very least, let you know that arlo lost its connection to the internet so you can check the local backups.  Perhaps give kudos to the ideas you agree with to get more visibility. I believe this is a gap and could easily be addressed in a firmware update.

MunteanuBogdan
Guide
Guide

Here is my post on wish list.Tell me where can i find your post in wish list and help this wish with some kudos!!!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Offline-no-internet-notification-recorded-videos...