Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What size and where to find a 1/4-20 screw to tether Arlo Pro camera?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've seen many posts suggesting a special screw, such as a torx or allen head to attach a security wire to provide at least minimal security protection for an Arlo Pro mounted outdoors on the magnetic mount. (I like the magnetic mount's adjustability.) I just want added safety should say a bird knock it off the mount and prevent a quick-grab thief.

So my question is: Where do I get the ideal screw? I want a length that doesn't stick out and interfere with the mount. I want something a little more unusual than a phillips head since regular screwdrivers are a little too common. I know the thread is 1/4-20 but I'd like to know what length works. I'm sure I can find something at the hardware store, but finding a single screw (or three) is such a pain in the big box stores I'd rather order it online. Suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The threaded mount is short so something like a 1/2" long screw/bolt would be a good place to start.  However, if you're adding an anti-theft cable or similar to prevent the camera from falling or being stolen, it will depend on the thickness of said cable. You'd be better off getting the cable and taking the camera and cable to the store to get the correct length.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

don't forget to add an extra nut on the bolt lenght to act as a lock nut.... put extra nut on bolt put bolt in cam tighten up extra nut..the tether goes bewtween the nut and camera so the lenght isn't super critical

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Retired_Member
Not applicable

An extra nut would absolutely and completely defeat the purpose of keeping it short enough to use the magnetic mount. I already tried screwing in a longer bolt I had laying around and it made it impossible to get the camera on the magnetic mount. It would have to be something like a very flat round headed bolt to serve the purpose.

As for the wire, not going to use very heavy gauge stuff for the same reason. If it makes the bolt stick out, it won't go onto the mount. I have a spool of safety wire used to keeping parts from falling off a racing motorcycle and that's what I'll use. Sure, a thief who carries wire cutters won't have a problem, but I just want to prevent the casually theft. A pro isn't going to be stopped by an Arlo anyway. 

Has anyone reading this post actually put a safety wire onto the camera using the screw mount and was still able to have full adjustent on the magnetic mount?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Something like this. Just need to be sure what length would work. 3/8" or 1/2" or ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71seoca4SPL._SL1500_.jpg

RangerDog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I did this. It took quite a bit of work. The screw can't be more than 1/4" long and I can't find anyone who makes those after quite a bit of searching on the internet and a local big box hardware store.

I took a longer screw and cut it to size with a hacksaw and smoothed it out with a dremel. The head of the screw still hit the dome of the magnetic mount.

The next step was taking the dremel and bevel one side of the screw head (marking it when it was tight) until there was an air gap between the screw and the dome.

After that, wiring was easy. Attach one end to the screw and the other to the screw holding on the mount. The camera now can't fall more than a few inches and is safe from a quick snatch-and-grab, at least as much as the Arlo outdoor mount would be.

I have photo that show how this went down but for the life of me I can figure out how to post a photo in this forum. Somebody point me to a tutorial (or just explain it) and I'll show photos of what it looks like.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Insert Image icon just above the text box when you're replying.  It looks like mountains with the sun/moon. There's also the attachments Choose File button just below the text box. Or host it on an Internet site and paste the link.

RangerDog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess I'm too new to have permission. I don't have any "Insert image" above my text box and if I put in the link my message doesn't appear saying "waiting approval."

I tried.

jguerdat wrote:

Use the Insert Image icon just above the text box when you're replying.  It looks like mountains with the sun/moon. There's also the attachments Choose File button just below the text box. Or host it on an Internet site and paste the link.