Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q+ CVR questions

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

am looking into buying the Arlo Q+ but need to know if i can run three of them non stop recording (CVR) but i also need to know the following. While running these in CVR will it also let me know by means of motion detetion where to look on the video feed (by it detecting motion while recording CVR) by the raised lines. Also while its recording in CVR mode will it be able to let me know via push notification if motion has been detected? Finally with these beig inside cameras can it detect motion through my glass window in both the daytime and night time? Ty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CVR doesn't affect recording and has marks to show you where on the timeline the recordings occur. The only real issue is the upload bandwidth from your ISP to support multiple cameras stream at the same time, which is about 1.5Mb/s per camera at best quality.

And, yes, the cameras detect motion well through glass since they use pixel changes rather than IR for detection. Just be sure to turn off night vision since the camera illuminators will reflect in the glass, blinding the camera.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CVR doesn't affect recording and has marks to show you where on the timeline the recordings occur. The only real issue is the upload bandwidth from your ISP to support multiple cameras stream at the same time, which is about 1.5Mb/s per camera at best quality.

And, yes, the cameras detect motion well through glass since they use pixel changes rather than IR for detection. Just be sure to turn off night vision since the camera illuminators will reflect in the glass, blinding the camera.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply but......So that I know for sure before i buy these and because i often choose my wording poorly i just want to doubley make sure that you are understanding me 100% accurately.

So the Arlo Q+ WILL send me push notifications when it detects motion while its in the continious non stop recording mode (i plan on buying the CVR plan for up to 3 of these cameras), and not only that when i go into the app on my iphone and/or computer to review the old footage if there was any motion at all detected outside of my window (all will be positioned to be looking out a window) i will not have to sit there and watch hours upon hours of recordings to see if there was anything that i want and need to know such as my schizophrenic / bipoar next door neibhoor in my yard trying to break into my garage again because there will be that "raised line indicator thingy" on the time line that denotes when motion was decected by the camera and then i would somehow be able to save that recording for the cops, court, ect? I hope the answers are all yes because if so i am going out tomorrow and im getting three of these things. Ty
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have a correct understanding.  The recordings will happen, you will get notifications (if enabled) and the CVR timeline will show when the recordings were made.  CVR can't be downloaded but you can use 3rd party screen capture software to do so for those moments before and after any recordings if they contain useful detail the the recordings didn't get.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks so much are u allowed to tell me what third party is the best, where i can get it at, and how to learn how to use it? Again ty for all ur help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I happen to use software I paid for. Use Google to see what you may like and try them. There may be utilities built into your computer OS that may 2ork well enough for your purposes.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
ok, if i buy and put in a SD card could i not just use that? Also lets say that as luck would have it that while the camera was in CVR mode it picked up movement and started recording and what it recorded can i use that and save that with the Arlo app alone since it sensed motion and started recording?

Also do you work for netgear? It seems that you answer most of the questions on here (either way ty so much for the help, really). My issue is that i have a neibhoor thats has schizophrenic affective disorder and a little over a month ago i caught him trying to break into my house. I sleep like a rock and if one wanted to they could break into my house while im asleep and steal the bed that im sleeping in and id honestly never wake up. For whatever reason if anything happens to any of his rusted out pieces of crap cars he blames me for it (i honestly dont think that anything has ever hapened to these cars of his i think that he really thinks things are hapening and he blames me for it). Im really thinking the day will come that he will try to break into my house while im asleep and slit my throat.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of an SD card will simply record what's being recorded in the cloud based on motion detection. CVR isn't saved on anything other than the cloud, partly because it would quickly fill the card.  CVR is the whole stream that recordings are taken from when motion is detected.  You could actually never record and just use CVR to review what happened after the fact but that probably isn't useful.

No, I don't work for Netgear.  The "superuser" status is just a moniker to a user.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
So sorry for all of the questions but i cant honestly say ty enough. So i guess what im really needing is several things.

1). While recording in CVR the camera still has the ability to also sense motion at the same time and if so it can send me a push notification letting me know this. Yes / no?

2). If all in #1 is true / correct then when i go to the libary section that detected motion would be marked on the time line of the non stop recording thus in a sense saving me a lot of time where otherwise i would have to hit the play btuuon and watch the whole recordihg to see if anything hapened that day. Yes / no?

3). If for what ever reason say on a Monday morning my kitchen window was fine but when i came home from work Monday night it was broke. During the day on Monday the canmera picked up motion and sent me a push notification that the kitchen window camera sensed motion. If so i could go to the libary section look at the time line of the non stop (CVR) recordings and go right to the spot (becuase it will be marked by that hash mark a long the time line of recordings) and go right to the spot where it sensed the motion and i can watch that part and see the window being broke.. Lets say for the sake of keeping things simple it caught the person that threw a rock at my window. Their busted.. Yes / no?

4). In regards to the example in #3 above. Lets say it picked up motion but it didnt start recording (as i would think would be the case most of the time) until after whoever threw the rock was already out of the cameras view by time it started recording. (Now this is one of the most important things i need this camera to do). Since the camera didnt start recording until after the fact since i have the camera set up on a CVR account i can go to the library, go to the time line of events, see where it sensed the motion and start watchig the CVR recording (lets say 10 minutes before the window was broke but i can use the sensed motion as a refrence point to know where to start watchig the recordings at right on). So if all of this is true even though there was no recoding due to sensed motion that is of any use to me but sense i have it set to CVR there is a recordig of it that is of use to me. Only issue is i got to get a third party app to save the video in order to give it to the police and / or use it as evidence in court. Yes / no?

5). Finally if all of the above is correct / and possible to do can u give me some names of third party apps that i could use to retrieve the recordings and i have access to both my iphone and laptop and i woukd assume that if i needed to record / download part of a CVR video it would likely be eaiser to do on a laptop Yes / no?

Again ty for all of your help you have been invaluable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) yes

2) yes

3) yes

4) yes

5) do a Google search on "screen recording software" and pick your weapon. I believe TinyTake has been used by folks here. I happen to use built-in capability of the Roxio CD/DVD recording software I own. Yes, use of a computer makes it much easier. Start the screen capture software, go to the CVR timeline and start viewing. Activate the local recording for as long as you need. The resulting file should be viewable on pretty much any device.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
Awsome again thank you so much for all of your help i greatly appreciate it.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation