Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
APB_GSD
Tutor
Tutor

I've seen a few posts regarding this issue but no definitive answer, so I figured I'd try again.  I have a 4 camera wireless system and just added the Arlo Q Plus, so I'm still on a Basic Plan. The Q Plus is powered via POE and so is hardwired to my network, thus connectivity should not be an issue.  The Q Plus timesout after about 30 mins of Live View.  Is this intended?  Do you need a CVR subscription to just MONITOR the Arlo Q Plus 24/7?  I just want to monitor, not record; we're using the Q Plus as a baby monitor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

APB_GSD,

After escalating this inquiry for further clarification, the Arlo Q, and Q plus are subject to the same timeout conditions as the Wire-free cameras (timeout after 30 minutes of live streaming).

For continuous monitoring, we encourage the use of the CVR feature as this will allow constant 24/7 recording as you describe above.

JamesC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

APB_GSD wrote:

I've seen a few posts regarding this issue but no definitive answer, so I figured I'd try again.  I have a 4 camera wireless system and just added the Arlo Q Plus, so I'm still on a Basic Plan. The Q Plus is powered via POE and so is hardwired to my network, thus connectivity should not be an issue.  The Q Plus timesout after about 30 mins of Live View.  Is this intended?  Do you need a CVR subscription to just MONITOR the Arlo Q Plus 24/7?  I just want to monitor, not record; we're using the Q Plus as a baby monitor.

In the past, I was able to run the Q camera for over an hour ( just in live view mode on main screen of web interface )... I also had the CVR option then, so don't know if that applies ( no longer have CVR...I'll have to test it again )

I do know the time out factor is/was based on the battery powered Arlo cameras if forgotten and left on ( to prevent depleting batteries )

So give me some time and I'll start it now in a second window running live view, I'll get back

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

kick out of live view at 16 and then  20 mins later... not sure if their end or a fart in the feed as messg stated something like ; camera not connected

( but jumped right to static view of camera )

Will try on ipad

Morse is faster than texting!
APB_GSD
Tutor
Tutor

Understood on the timeout feature for the battery powered cameras; that makes sense.  It seems logical to me that the Q's should be able handle Live View 24/7 since power isn't an issue.  The Q Plus replaced a Nest Camera, which allowed for 24/7 monitoring/streaming to the iPhone app.  The Nest service went down too often, so we switched to the Q Plus for the reliability of a hard wired network connnection.

I should also note that I'm using the Arlo app on an iPhone 6, running iOS 9.3.3 as the my viewing interface, not the web interface.  On the app, the image freezes after 25-30 mins or the app just closes out.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

APB_GSD,

After escalating this inquiry for further clarification, the Arlo Q, and Q plus are subject to the same timeout conditions as the Wire-free cameras (timeout after 30 minutes of live streaming).

For continuous monitoring, we encourage the use of the CVR feature as this will allow constant 24/7 recording as you describe above.

JamesC

APB_GSD
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks James.   This is pretty disappointing as the Arlo Q Plus is a more expensive camera than the competing Nest Cam and now seemingly is less versatile. You should NOT need to pay 9.99/month on top of the cost of the camera just to stream/monitor the Arlo Q/Q Plus 24/7.  Total disappointment/fail on this Netgear.

Netgear please lift the 30 mintue timeout on Arlo Q/Q plus powered cameras!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, unless it's changed recently, I've used live view to record for over an hour.  However, the resulting file is very large so as to make it rather useless.  CVR would be a better choice.

GarageRat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using the basic plan, and am able to get the live fuction to work on my iPhone 6 app; however, when I view from the web page it does not seem to work at all, even for a short time.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GarageRat,

What browser are you using? Do you get any error messages when attempting to initiate live view?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation