Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus Motion Detection Sensitivity

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
WarrenWillis
Tutor
Tutor

I am using Arlo Q Plus in a sheltered front porch which faces to the street.   I have set sensitivity to minimum level (1) and created a restricted zone which only includes the area near the front door.  The Motion Detection works fine in the daytime, but at night is triggered by the light from the headlights of passing vehicles.   To avoid the barrage of notifications I have to turn off notifications during the hours of darkness, which rather defeats the purpose of having this high quality camera there in the first place.   Because of the L-shape of the porch, it is only light from vehicles passing from south to north that trigger the detection.  Vehicles moving in the opposite direction do not trigger, so it is definitely light and not motion that is triggering the camera.

Does anyone have any suggustions as to how I might be able to inhibit the Arlo Q Plus from being triggered by light, as distinct from motion?   This would be a big help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying it is detecting outside of the zones? Or is light from cars hitting the door zone too?

As you prob know the cameras are pixel based detection... Great at some times but not at others.

this is one of them....flickering lights.

We has a user a while back that wanted to watch an elderly parent...but the parent watched tv at night, setting off the Q cameras all the time

I use use two cameras...a Q which covers and captures all ( fine with me as the alerts are off ) And a second Arlo that uses PIR detection that lights don't bother ( for door area)

This may be an issue which may not have an answer

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying it is detecting outside of the zones? Or is light from cars hitting the door zone too?

As you prob know the cameras are pixel based detection... Great at some times but not at others.

this is one of them....flickering lights.

We has a user a while back that wanted to watch an elderly parent...but the parent watched tv at night, setting off the Q cameras all the time

I use use two cameras...a Q which covers and captures all ( fine with me as the alerts are off ) And a second Arlo that uses PIR detection that lights don't bother ( for door area)

This may be an issue which may not have an answer

Morse is faster than texting!
WarrenWillis
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestion, TomMac.  I'll try using a separate PIR for the alerts.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation