Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus PoE.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
WarrenWillis
Tutor
Tutor

What is the spec for the PoE?  I plan to use an injector at the Ethernet switch location.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WarrenWillis,

I apologize for the incorrect information above. Escalating this topic to engineering resulted in the following Q&A:

Engineering has confirmed that the Arlo Q+ dongle uses 802.3af Class 0 (12.95W max) and that the actual power draw is ~2.8W.

Q: What is the voltage needed for the Arlo Q Plus PoE adapter?

A [Engineering]: 44VDC – 57VDC is the required voltage range for 802.3af as measured at the PoE switch or PoE injector.

Q: Would passive 24v be enough?

A [Engineering]: Passive 24VDC would not work at all.  I don’t recommend the customer use anything but an IEEE compliant 802.3af/802.3at PoE switch or PoE injector.

Q:Can the customer use his injector(13V~47V) for ArloQ ?

“As you are probably aware, 802.3at is known as PoE+ or PoE Plus, whereas PoE generally refers to 802.3af, which is an older version with lower voltage and power.   The documentation for the Arlo mentions PoE, but not PoE+, hence my question.   I am using a PoE injector that can be configured to send a DC voltage of between 12v and 47v.  The 802.3at spec is for the PSE to deliver 50v to 57v at up to 600mA.   What PSE sending voltage would you recommend for the Arlo Q Plus camera to operate reliably, with a cable length of about 10m?”

A [Engineering]: So long as the customer’s PoE switch or injector indicates that it is IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at compliant on the product label or in documentation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Q Plus uses IEEE 802.3at.

For more information on Arlo Q Plus see here: 

ArloQ Plus 1080p HD Security Camera with Audio & Ethernet

Arlo Q Plus User Manual

JamesC

WarrenWillis
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks JamesC.  There is nothing at all in the documentation supplied with the camera or in the reference material on the Arlo website that tells me the "flavour" of PoE supported.  As you are probably aware, 802.3at is known as PoE+ or PoE Plus, whereas PoE generally refers to 802.3af, which is an older version with lower voltage and power.   The documentation for the Arlo mentions PoE, but not PoE+, hence my question.   I am using a PoE injector that can be configured to send a DC voltage of between 12v and 47v.  The 802.3at spec is for the PSE to deliver 50v to 57v at up to 600mA.   What PSE sending voltage would you recommend for the Arlo Q Plus camera to operate reliably, with a cable length of about 10m?

Warren

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WarrenWillis,

I have escalated your question to engineering. I will post an official response as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WarrenWillis,

I apologize for the incorrect information above. Escalating this topic to engineering resulted in the following Q&A:

Engineering has confirmed that the Arlo Q+ dongle uses 802.3af Class 0 (12.95W max) and that the actual power draw is ~2.8W.

Q: What is the voltage needed for the Arlo Q Plus PoE adapter?

A [Engineering]: 44VDC – 57VDC is the required voltage range for 802.3af as measured at the PoE switch or PoE injector.

Q: Would passive 24v be enough?

A [Engineering]: Passive 24VDC would not work at all.  I don’t recommend the customer use anything but an IEEE compliant 802.3af/802.3at PoE switch or PoE injector.

Q:Can the customer use his injector(13V~47V) for ArloQ ?

“As you are probably aware, 802.3at is known as PoE+ or PoE Plus, whereas PoE generally refers to 802.3af, which is an older version with lower voltage and power.   The documentation for the Arlo mentions PoE, but not PoE+, hence my question.   I am using a PoE injector that can be configured to send a DC voltage of between 12v and 47v.  The 802.3at spec is for the PSE to deliver 50v to 57v at up to 600mA.   What PSE sending voltage would you recommend for the Arlo Q Plus camera to operate reliably, with a cable length of about 10m?”

A [Engineering]: So long as the customer’s PoE switch or injector indicates that it is IEEE 802.3af or 802.3at compliant on the product label or in documentation.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation