Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Q Plus - Recording on cloud and SD Card  at the same time. Is this functionality possible? if so, can I use basic cloud settings (only on trigger move/sound) and CVR on SD card?

Thank you

Regards

Jan

16 REPLIES 16
brh
Master
Master

@Gogik

I believe the answer to that is no. I don't own the Q model but the Pro base station, (assuming they work in the same fashion), must record all images/videos to the cloud then to the SD card as a backup. There is a post on here where someone tried that and it recorded to the SD card only for a few minutes then reached its limit. The cameras were stolen within 2 hours of being setup that way.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

wrote:

Arlo Q Plus - Recording on cloud and SD Card  at the same time. Is this functionality possible? if so, can I use basic cloud settings (only on trigger move/sound) and CVR on SD card?

The Q+ camera when used with an SD card records to the cloud and the card.... all the same videos.

The CVR records only to the cloud. ( tho any triggered events will be in both places ( cvr and sd card )).

You need to have access to the internet for the camera commands to function properly

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

So when internet connection is interupted it stars recording on sd card, right? Or its automatically saved on SD card and cloud at the same time?

Thank you

Jan

brh
Master
Master

@Gogik

I believe that is correct but I think there is a time limit. I think I read about 25-30 minutes.

Brian

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

Do you mean that saving to SD card is time limited 25-30 minutes? Then it stops working at all - no recording? (waiting for internet connection)

brh
Master
Master

@Gogik

Until you get confirmation from someone that owns one of these cameras, take what I said with a grain of salt. It will continue to record to the SD card, but i am not sure about any time limit. I was thinking about what would happen if you were trying to record a very long video clip.

Brian

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

I would setup motion/sound trigger but how you wrote I am not sure if there is any time limit for SD card. It does not make any sense to setup there any time limit (in case there could be connectivity outage for hours) - at least they should mention this in the notes. I read that video files on SD Card are automatically replaced with new ones (older is replaced by new ones). 

So here is the points what I got:

1. Videos on SD card are automatically replaced (old ones)

2. CVR cannot be setup on SD Card (just cloud which needs to be paid)

3. SD card is backup in case there is a internet interuption (is here any time limit?)

This week I should get my first Arlo Q Plus with PoE, I hope I can give you answers (for next customers) - I would prefer anyone from ARLO (netgear) to answer my / our questions.

Thank you for any suggestions

Jan

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Whoa! Slow down!

The Q Plus, like the Pro base, will record any motion detection recordings simultaneously to both the cloud and the local storage. If the Internet connection is dropped for any reason the cloud recordings obviously stop but the local storage continues as long as the device remains powered. Upon resumption of Internet access, cloud recordings start again but anything on the local storage will not be uploaded so you'd have to pull the storage to see what happened.

Also, there's no limit on the amount that will be stored locally other than the size of the device and whether it's set to overwrite or just fill up. Note that live recordings are not recorded to local storage, just motion events.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

Thanks for wording that so well. What I was trying to say was that if someone was trying to use this camera as a baby monitor, (which many people do), I wasn't sure if the videos would continue recording. I searched and searched for an answer for that and couldn't find any. Although I don't own a Q or Q Plus I am researching them as I am considering purchasing one.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Brain

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you all,

I found issue with app, when I want to use mode "geofencing" at the last step on button "done" I got error "Internal error" in top of screen and its get stuck.

any idea how to solve this please?

Thanks

Jan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gogik,

Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

JamesC

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I apologize I missed that you replied here, please see attached screenshot - there isnt any detailed log what goes wrong.

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

I apologize I missed that you replied here, please see attached screenshot - there isnt any detailed log what goes wrong.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gogik,

Try removing all special characters from the address and see if you still experiencing the same issue.

JamesC

Muddypaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I setup my new Arlo Q+ tonight to record live (presumably to my 64gb sd card) continuously. 

But, when I got home after 2 hours, I discovered the system had timed-out my login, and my camera was no longer recording anything.

When I looked at the history (library) there was only one recording for exactly 30mins starting from just before I went out.

WTF is this crap...I am getting quickly frustrated with this camera that promised so much but so far delivers so little.

So many issues and i have had it less than 1 day.

I just want to record continuous live vid to my SD card, just like my car dash cam will do for a 10 hour drive.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Muddypaw

Gogik
Tutor
Tutor

Muddypaw,

I would like to do same, if checked then record nonstop (rewrite) mode on SD card.

Sadly what I got that feature is not possible for Arlo Q plus - only what you can do is purchase CVR on cloud.

Jan

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation