Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
richard888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm looking to buy the Arlo Q Plus, and interested in its ethernet connection feature. Currently I have another competing camera product which uses only WIFI. I often come across network disconnected issue or when streaming 1-2 min later, there's only Video but no Audio (till I reset the camera). I hope the ethernet feature in Arlo would help, and also does it have an audio only feature ? Most of the time, I just need to listen in of the sound around the house and close/standby the phone. Not sure if Arlo's audio would be reliable. 

Also, I'm interestd in the other product Arlo Pro, to put in my front yard. If I buy Arlo Q Plus and Pro, can I integrate these two such that the phone App can allow two screen at the same time ? 

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the Arlo cameras require Internet access for you to view/listen since you're actually connecting to the servers, not the cameras. That means any break in that connection, whether from the camera or any other place in the entire connection stream can be an issue. The use of Ethernet at the very least means it won't be a WiFi issue if that's what your problem is.

While it does have audio, you can't separate the two - to check in you'll get both audio and video.  That said, you can set the camera to trigger on audio only for recording rather than using motion.  It sounds like you're interested more in using live view which will give you both.

And yse, both the Pro and Q (or any other Arlo camera) will be able to be seen on the same screen at the same time. You wouldn't be able to use one to trigger the other but that's a relatively minor irritant.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any of the Arlo cameras require Internet access for you to view/listen since you're actually connecting to the servers, not the cameras. That means any break in that connection, whether from the camera or any other place in the entire connection stream can be an issue. The use of Ethernet at the very least means it won't be a WiFi issue if that's what your problem is.

While it does have audio, you can't separate the two - to check in you'll get both audio and video.  That said, you can set the camera to trigger on audio only for recording rather than using motion.  It sounds like you're interested more in using live view which will give you both.

And yse, both the Pro and Q (or any other Arlo camera) will be able to be seen on the same screen at the same time. You wouldn't be able to use one to trigger the other but that's a relatively minor irritant.

richard888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually what I mean by Audio only... I mean if I can close the App on the iphone and still monitoring the audio. This would allow me (1) save battery life (2) or use another App such as email, instant message etc at the same time. 

Regarding the ethernet only instead of WIFI, I wonder anyone come across reviews that ethernet connections would be much better as I keep hearing people complain about WIFI drop signal. 

Thanks !

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No, without the app open, you get nothing at all. The best you could do would be to enable recording on audio and have push notifications turned on so you were at least alerted.
richard888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks jguerdat.

So it's not like one of those Music or Radio app, where you could switching to another app or even off the iphone and still able to hear the audio ? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Nope.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation