Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q+ keeps disconnecting.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why is my Arlo Q+ camera disconnecting all the time? Its close enough to the router, I have two others that dont disconnect. this is stating to get on my nerves.
21 REPLIES 21
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would do a reset of the Q, and then swap it with one of the others....to see if problem follows the camera.   If it does, contact Netgear Support

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
genpad
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

I have the same issue. The Arlo Q plus disconnects once in a while, even though it is connected through an ethernet cable. Actually, such behavior started after I hard wired it.

So, what I have noticed that in reality the camera doesn't lose connectivity, but probably it is just a visual glitch. Since I have refreshed the page which logs me automatically out, then I log in back I have everything working.

So, I don't think resetting the device will help. I will try anyway to see the glitch will disappear. The other camera that has a wireless connection don't have such issue.

VerySiberian
Tutor
Tutor

I hear you. I already returned an Arlo Q after multiple dropped connections. I assumed it was the Wi-Fi in our office building since there are so many networks. I tried both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but without success. 

I thought everything would clear up when I switched to the Arlo Q Plus. I'm using an Ethernet cable straight to a wall jack back to the router. The cabling is new. We have a fiber optic Internet connection (25 Mbps up/down), which should be far beyond what is required. Yet, even with a wired connection, the connection drops every so often. Very irritating. 

There may simply be a systemic flaw in the camera. I'm not sure but hope others have suggestions. I am running out of ideas. It is also tough since Arlo is designed to be an end-user consumer device, so the settings do not show any potentially useful diagnostics that might help solve the problem.

ditchdoc
Apprentice
Apprentice
pretty irritating that no one from the manufacturer has chimed in yet 😡. Thus far i have spent north of $2,000 on this stuff. Calling customer support is a joke unless u like talking to young asia chicks that dont know thier butt from a hole n the ground. Netgear is it really saving u that much money (hiring young asian girls with horrible broken english) verses someone that speaks good and fluent english that u can understand and (shocker) they actually know the product that they are trying to help me with lol
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

VerySiberian, ditchdoc

What are you seeing that indicates a disconnect occurs? Are you seeing an error message? Does the camera recover on it's own?

JamesC

VerySiberian
Tutor
Tutor

Multiple error messages: The camera failed to connect, try again. Or, Please Wait (for eternity). I can't deal with this unreliaiblity and already returned it to Amazon (which I had already done for the wireless model last week). You all should not be marketing this as an option for businesses.

genpad
Tutor
Tutor

So, I have removed the camera from my cloud account and then hard reset it. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. So, if I watch long enough the cameras on my chrome browser in live mode, after a while it will become unresponsive and then it disconnects. In reality, I can hear sounds, but no video. An error is displayed on the camera: "Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection".

It never recovers. The only working way is to log off and then to login to be able to see the video again.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

genpad,

How long does it take for this to occur? The live stream, by design, will time out on it's own after 30 minutes.

JamesC

JKontheWeb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here.  Running Q+ using POE ... first was using a TP-Link POE adapter and now using a TP-Link POE switch.  Same problem either way.  Swapped out the Q+ for a new one; same exact problem.  Its obviously firmware bug in device.

What typically happens is the blue light turns orange.  Sometimes it turns blue again, other times it stays orange, other times it turns off.  Error messages also vary ... the camera failed to connect, or that the camera is offline, etc. 

The reality is that the WiFi cameras have many few connectivity issues ... how can this be?  How can you ship a $250 product that does not work?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that you have a bad camera or PoE adapter. If that's the case, open a case with support here for possible replacements.

hempi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll tell you why, because it is garbage. I just spent $200 on a camera  today and I am returning it tomorrow, this thing is worse than nothing. Going back to the $50 cameras that actually work. OMG Netgear!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hempi,

Could you provide us with more information on what you are experiencing? We may be able to offer assistance here on the community.

JamesC

Matt4171
Initiate
Initiate

All of my cameras disconnect intermittantly. Sometimes one will stay connected for a week, sometimes just a few hours. This is very frustrating because they are all connected to the same wifi network, and the 2 cameras closest to my router are the ones that disconnect the most. the only waqy I can get them to reconnect is to unplug the power and then plug it back in. I can't do that if I'm not home. I bought the cameras so I could monitor my home when I'm away.

Arlo.JPG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Matt4171,

When this happens, what is the LED behavior on the camera? What does the signal strength Icon show for these cameras when they are online, it looks like the signal strength is showing poor for the first camera in your screenshot. This could be the reason the cameras are dropping offline.

JamesC

jasonlevan
Aspirant
Aspirant

This ArloQ is a total pice of crap.  Was on support call for over 90 minutes.  They are blaming my ATT Fiber ISP??  I can see the device connect to my Meraki WAP.  It is even connected when the issue occures.  I can still ping the device.  The blue light is solid, but yet I get the error that the device cannot be contacted.  Definitly seems like some junk firmware going on.  Wasted over 4 hours on this junk which I just purchased yesterday. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jasonlevan,

Is this an intermittent occurrence or does this behavior always happen when you attempt to live stream? Does it make a difference if you're connected using the Arlo mobile app or the web client?

JamesC

jasonlevan
Aspirant
Aspirant

This occures completly random.  In fact it just happening now.  The blue LED is lit solid Blue.  I can check my Meraki WAP and I can see the ArloQ connected.  There is no traffic being blocked at the WAP or our Edge Firewall.  

jasonlevan
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I did everything support has asked.  Several Hard Resets, Moving the unit closer to the WAP(Less than 5 feet) did nothing.  Support was going to send a replacement unit, howevert, I decided to go back to the store and exchange myself. 

So now with new unit, same issue is occuring.  Like previous people have said, I really do not think it is WiFi issue but instead firmware.  Whenever this "disconnect" occuures, I look at the Meraki and I have see the unit is still connected, still transmitting.  The WAP is inidicating a good signal to the ArloQ.  I can even ping the unit and I get a response.  Like others have said, it seems to be purley a flawed Firmware.  Why does the the Unit not retry connection?  Why does a power cycle reconnect the unit every time(until it gets disconnected again).  I was going to try with the ArloQ Plus using Ethernet, but others have said that even these diconnect also.  So I wasted 5 hour diagnosing these units.  Sorry Netgear, I would not even use these in my home.  You really can't trust these for reliability.

Arlo22.PNGArlo29.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In the meantime, my Q has kept plugging and chugging without a power cycle for months. If it's firmware, it's not consistent nor widespread. If two cameras do the same thing, I'd be considering other things in your home environment that could be causing signal issues (not necessarily strength). Did you try it on both 2.4 and 5GHz?

jasonlevan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good to hear you have had good luck.  I have spent many more hours with this device.  I have setup 2.4GHz dedicated SSID, separate dedicated WAP located within 5 feet of Arlo.  I have even taken the unit home to test with my WAP.  Same story, on average every 24 hours the unit needs a power cycle to become functional again. Even thought as usual, I always see the Arlo still connected on my WAPs with great signal when it malfunctions.  I have returned the Arlo and will never look back.

baconbob
Aspirant
Aspirant

This has ben happenign to be for months now.  Camera will either be "disconnected" or disabled, or if i go into device settings via the app (connectivity) will be disabled.  Cannot reboot from the app, requires a physical power cycle of the device.  This happens via 2.5ghz 5ghz and ethernet connectivity.  Initially thought it was a bug with SD card recording and could recording enabled simpltaneously but my testing indicates that has nothing to do with it.  I have swapped out 3 cameras with arlo customer support.  they have been helpful and fast with shipping times but i have been down a camera or two at times which is not why i bought these.  There is no consistency to the cameras going disabled or offline...happens randomly.