Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Microphone wont work when away from home

Discussion stats
daviesd
Guide
Guide

I added an Arlo Q to my existing 4 wireless camera's.  The microphone works at home but when I am away it just says please wait and I can't use the microphone.  Also sometimes it takes a long time to get the camera live.  Can someone help me!  I would really like to use the microphone when I am away from home.  Really doesn't help me that much when I am at home.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this went out recently that should resolve issues with the push to talk feature when using a T-Mobile device on a data connection. Please let me know if you continue experiencing any issues.

JamesC

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88
snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

daviesd wrote:

when I am away it just says please wait and I can't use the microphone.  

Hi @daviesd,

A few questions when you're trying this at home...

1. Are you seeing this on Android, iOS and/or Browser?

2. Is your connection LTE or WiFI?

Lastly, do you have a single router at home or more?

daviesd
Guide
Guide

Thank you for responding!

Answers:

1) Android

2) WiFi

3) single router

I keep checking to see if the microphone will work.  Sometimes it works away from the house and other times it doesn't.  Also when I record to see if it is working the sound goes silent on the recording when I talk.

snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

daviesd wrote:

Thank you for responding!

Answers:

2) WiFi

Would you mind doing two tests when you are remote?

A. Test on Android

1. Turn on Airplane mode

2. Turn on WiFI (so Android does not use LTE)

3. Try the Push-to-talk and see if it gets connected.

B. Test on Laptop/Mac with Wi-FI connection

1. Log-in on Chrome or Firefox browser

2. Try the Push-to-talk

Please let me know how it goes.

daviesd
Guide
Guide
I took my phone down the street, turned on airplane mode and my WiFi was on. Looks like you have to be connected to WiFi for Arlo to work. I don't want to hook up to any WiFi. When I am away from 5he house, I want to use my phone. Can that happen?
snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

daviesd wrote:
I took my phone down the street, turned on airplane mode and my WiFi was on. Looks like you have to be connected to WiFi for Arlo to work. I don't want to hook up to any WiFi. When I am away from 5he house, I want to use my phone. Can that happen?

Yes, data plan should work but I was asking so we can get to the root cause. What Android device and model do you have and which provider?

daviesd
Guide
Guide

I thought I responded to this question but I guess it didn't post.  I have an Samsung 7 Android and I have Verizon as a carrier.  

I got an email that asked if I got my question answered and I responded and this is what is what I got back.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.      

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

community@netgear.com

Reason: Permanent Error

I am really not doing something right but I don't know what!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't think you can reply to those emails as a response, just need to post here.

snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @daviesd,

Thanks for this info. We'll test it out -  "Samsung 7 Android and ... Verizon as a carrier."

DDEMARTI
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue, the mic does not work when away.  I too am not on a Wifi when away.  I have a Samsung Note 5, ATT is the carrier.  The whole reason I added this to my other ARLO system was for the ability to use the mic away from home.  I don't see that this has been answered? 

daviesd
Guide
Guide

I never did get an answer on this.  They kind of left us hanging on this one.  I am hoping there will be some upgrades but I haven't heard anything yet.

I would love it if someone could help us out on this one.  The people at Best Buy can't help either.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DDEMARTI, daviesd,

A new version of the Android app released yesterday, please update to the latest version of the app and let us know if you are still having issues using the microphone feature with your data connection.

JamesC

DDEMARTI
Initiate
Initiate

I updated the app and tried it again today, works when I am in my house, but NOT when I am away. 

daviesd
Guide
Guide

I was away yesterday and it seemed to work better.  Thanks!  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DDEMARTI,

Do you get an error message when trying to use the microphone on 3g/4g?

Do all other features work without issue on the app when you are on 3g/4g?

JamesC

JennyPenny
Tutor
Tutor

Was wondering it the mic is still working for you? I am having te same issue, it will work at home when I use my WiFi, but when away and on my data plan the mic may work when I first try it but if a go to speak again I will just see "please wait" and the mic will not work. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can verify this on my Q.  I don't use audio so had never noticed it but I just turned off WiFi and used 4g instead.  The first time worked fine but then shortly afterwards the Please Wait message showed up with no apparent timeout.  Open a case at https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JennyPenny, jguerdat

I have tested this and did get similar, however inconsistent results. I will escalate this topic for further investigation.

I recommend contacting support and opening a case to track this issue as jguerdat suggests above.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I've got a case open already. Anyone else noticing this should do the same.
Curtizmo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same issue. Using iPhone 7 plus away from home wifi when on LTE (T-Mobile). Netgear customer service told me that Arlo wasn't designed to be used over cellular LTE. I asked them to escalate to higher tech support and they said they would have someone call me back.
Curtizmo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the exact same issue using iPhone 7 plus over LTE (T-Mobile). Netgear is escalting to tier 2 tech support and they are suppose to call me back.
Curtizmo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can't use push to talk when on LTE away from my house but it works fine when on wifi in my house. I'e not noticed any other issues.
Yourlandlady
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just installed Arlo Pro cameras yesterday and tried to use microphone when at work and away from home wifi on iPhone 6 Plus thru T-Mobile and it never connected. Very disappointing as paid more for cameras with this feature and appears to not work. Looking for quick response as may make more sense to return these and get non audio versions if full functionality is not working.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm guessing it's an iOS issue since I randomly tried it on my Android phone yesterday and found it to work.  I have no idea when it started to work since I had no responses to my open case on this.

Yourlandlady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo - Hello ?  Can you please provide a response on this issue?  Thank you.