Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection not working when Arlo Q+ switching from night-vision to regular mode

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ajura15
Follower
Follower

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Arlo and still testing out various functions. I am using one Arlo Q Plus (firmware1.8.3.0_9926), connected through wifi network. My goal is to have Arlo Q detect and notify me anytime someone walks up the stairs into the 2nd floor space. So the camera sits on the 2nd floor, facing the stairway in my setup.

But i've noticed that motion detection doesn't work properly, when the camera needs to switch from night-vision back into regular mode. In this situation, there is a small window of maybe around 15-20 seconds, sometimes even longer, in which Arlo Q+ can't detect any motion.

Here's a simple (and realistic) test case I've replicated many times:

- Night time. Arlo Q+ is armed. Space is dark so Arlo is in night-vision mode.

- I would start from downstairs. 

- Before I walk up the stairs, I'd turn on the light in staircase.  This causes Arlo Q+ to switch from night-vision mode into regular mode.

- I immediately walk up the stairs. (Don't even need to run; walking regularly is quick enough.)

Each time I was able to walk past Arlo Q+ without triggering anything. I had enough time to walk into and then get out of the camera's field of view, and I probably had enough time if I like to unplug it, turn it around, etc, before Arlo Q+ detects my motion.

I've tried motion sensitivity 5, 7, & 9, all with similar results. I've tried reset/re-add my Arlo multiple times, also with the same results. I've also changed the positions/angles of Arlo, but thus far I keep running into the same issue.

I'd like to know if this is a normal behavior? Is it possible that I am using a defective unit?

Any input is greatly appreciated; thank you all in advance.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Off the bat, i can say an easy thing to try is just reset the Q camera ( reset for 10 secs or so till the led flashes )

Can say the Q , IMO, has the best detection and I haven't noticed this... If I get a chance today I will try and dupe what you did in a dark room.

Or, for temp, just leave the light on

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation