Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

PoE setup

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
marepinta
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last week we purchased two Arlo Q Plus POE capable cameras.  Originally I did not realize this required a special POE switch.  We connected them just fine with the included USB cords and typical outlet power, but thereafter purchased two Trendnet 5 port Gigabit POE+ switches model TPE-TG50G.  We are plugging into the correct PoE+ ports and the camera and other devices are connected to the network properly and work fine.  

We can see them in our account and view the history and camera views.

As soon as we disconnect the power USB cord from the electrical outlets, the light goes out and the camera no longer work.  What are we missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

marepinta,

After factory resetting the Arlo Q Plus are you still experiencing this issue? Please let us know the results.

JamesC

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't have the Q+ but wonder about a few things.  Is it possible that the presence of the USB cable in the camera port is causing the issue?  Rather than removing the power at the outlet, remove it at the camera.  Also, is it possible that because it powered up on one power connection, it doesn't automatically switch to the other?  Remove both inputs and only plug in the PoE connection.  Is it possible that the camera is set to use the WiFi connection instead of Ethernet? Perhaps that forces use of the USB cable.

I'd suspect that a factory reset using the reset button until the LED flashes and then resyncing would fix this if nothing else does.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

marepinta wrote:

Originally I did not realize this required a special POE switch.  We connected them just fine

As soon as we disconnect the power USB cord from the electrical outlets, the light goes out and the camera no longer work.  What are we missing?

The camera is obv losing power... as you mentioned ( since there are very few out there ) doesn't the Q+ have a special / required POE adapter for breakout.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
marepinta
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are using the special POE adapter.  This is the only way to attach the cat 5 ethernet cable regardless of whether the USB power cable is attached or not.

We called support yesterday and they are requesting our serial numbers for the camera.  These are 4HE265SH19523 and 4HE265SC195CA.  I am adding them here so I can reference them easily whenever the support people finally return the call.  They suggest it isn't their cameras at all but rather the Trendnet switch.  Since there are two separate brand new switches and they are both / all working identically I find this almost impossible to accept. 

We also thought it might be that even if the USB cord is plugged into the camera at all, whether plugged into power or not, it may cancel the "try" for a different power.  Unplugging them completely from the camera did not fix the problem.

Our next step will be to try the suggestion of resetting the cameras with a pin into the reset slot.  Hopefully this will start their original search for power and possibly they will connect.  I will update this thread when I find the solution.  Thank you all for your suggestions.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

marepinta,

After factory resetting the Arlo Q Plus are you still experiencing this issue? Please let us know the results.

JamesC

marepinta
Aspirant
Aspirant

The first time we tried reset it did not work.  We had unplugged the power and the units were receiving no power from the PoE switches.

We tried again doing the reset by pushing the pin into the reset hole but this time we left them plugged in via the standard usb cable to a power outlet on the wall.  We kept them plugged in until the amber light came on steady.  Then we unplugged the usb cable and it continued to get it's power through the PoE.

Thanks for your help!  I'm sure this will be a common frustration.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI ethernet cables can be the source of problems, too.  Power Over Ethernet uses pins that are not normally used in 100BaseT ethernet devices, so otherwise "good" cables/connectors may not work in POE applications.  If the cable successfully connects with Gigabit speeds, then it should work fine, as that requires all 8 pins (4 pairs) to work.

lu8890
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am wondering how long did it last ater that?  from my understanding is that you will need to use a POE switch, in order to get power from ethernet. The power you think you have might be just what you were doing to get power stored, but after a while, power should be gone again.... if my understanding is correct.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation