Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Striff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All.

Looking to by a home security system, I ususally ask a question through the companies support to see how good it is, as this plays a big factor in who to choose from.

So far the makers of Blink have been great, anbd have replied to three emails in a timley manner (less than a day)

Menawhile, Netgrear / Arlo support via email is non existant, raised the below question four days ago and have heard nothing, so black mark in this regards.

But will raise the question here, that maybe someone can help with:

I'm considering buying Arlo for my home security.

Preferably the Arlo pro for outdoor monitoring and the Arlo Q Plus for indoor monitoring.

From what I understand the Alro Pro relies on connecting to a base station.

The Q Plus directly to the internet (via POE, Ethernet or wireless)

Can these be managed together and accessible under the one account?

Also can the base station utilise my Wireless network, I have several repeaters and my wireless coverage covers two stories and also a fair distance outside the house, I fear the Arlo base station won't have this type of coverage and was hoping there was a way I could connected it to my home network, and have the Pro cameras connect to the home wireless as apposed to the base station?.

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

From what I understand the Alro Pro relies on connecting to a base station.

The Q Plus directly to the internet (via POE, Ethernet or wireless)

Can these be managed together and accessible under the one account?

The PRO camera connects ONLY to the base unit.  The Pro Base unit requires an ethernet port on your router to work and sets up it's own 2.4ghz wifi network for the cameras

The Q camera hooks directly into you home wifi network and will function on 2.4 or 5 ghz

The range of the base unit is fairly good but as with all wifi, range is dependant on what the signal has to travel thru

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Striff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks,

But I guess what I need to know is can both of these cameras work togetrher.

ie when using the Arlo App ir via the website  will both the Q and Pro cameras show under the one sign-in / screen (one account?)

Dissapointing about the Pro's if it can't utilise an existing wirless network.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) All Arlo cameras use the same app, same login.  Everything shows together.

2) The wireless cameras have always required a base station. They do not connect to your router - only the Q cameras do. All of them require cloud access to monitor them.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Striff wrote:

ie when using the Arlo App ir via the website  will both the Q and Pro cameras show under the one sign-in / screen (one account?)

Yes.... and No....

The Q and PRO cameras will all appear under the same account,  BUT, they are operationally separate.

In that is you have 3 Pro cameras, you can armed them all at the same time with one MODE... But the Q cameras will each have to be armed separately

So you would have a set of Modes for the Pro cameras and ANOTHER set of Modes for the Q camera ( also schedule )

Morse is faster than texting!
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Your idea of using the Pro for outside and Q for indoor's is the best way to go. Like has been stated, the Pro uses the Base Station but that means nothing in reguards to the Q, both appear on your phone/computer screen as one system and work seemlessly. I have the same system.

WaltDockery
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar question and rather than start another thread I will ask it here, as it also relates to integrating Arlo Pro and Q / Q+ in one system.  I have a feeling a lot of people willl want to do this (Q/Q+ for indoor and Pro for outdoor just as the original poster said).

My question is this - as I understand it, it is possible to connect an external hard drive to the Pro's base station in order to record.  First, is that correct and if so can it record 24 / 7 ?  If this is the case I am surprised more don't talk about this, this is/would be a HUGE advantage of the Arlo system compared to say Nest where you are locked into paying for the plan as the only way to store footage.

Second, if the answer to the above is a yes, is there a way for the Pro base station to also record footage from the Q Plus?  Given someone earlier said they are "operationally separate" my guess is no, but I haven't been able to find this discussed anywhere.

Finally, and this is getting a little off topic but is still relevant I think, is what exactly are the advantages of the Q Plus over the Q?  I understand the Plus can take a microSD card and can connect via POE, but does it have to connect via POE (i.e. is there still a wifi option) and is there a performance advantage of using POE vs. wifi only for the non-plus version?

Thanks.  I hope I am not hijacking someone elses question, but as I said it's all within the realm of integrating Pro and Q/Q+ within one system so hopefully adds to the discussion.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
1) yes, you can record on a hard drive or other USB device on a Pro base. However, it only records the same thing as what goes to the cloud, not 24/7 streaming (which would fill the drive in relatively short order). The main advantage is that if you lose internet access but not power the drive on the base will record what's happened. These recordings will not be uploaded ton the cloud when access is restored - you have to view them on a computer.

2) no, the Q cameras are separate entities. You could use a Q+ camera and utilize the built-in microSD card slot for the same purpose.

3) you just named the advantages of the Q+ over the Q. You have a choice of Ethernet or WiFi as well as powering the camera using PoE or the USB cable. AFAIK, there's no performance difference.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation