Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Firmware and Other Issues

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
nick6young
Guide
Guide

Hi All,

Yesterday I purchased a new Arlo Q camera to integrate with my Samsung Smartthings setup.

I was a little reluctant to purchase one because I thought £150 was a little steep (that's $205). But I told myself it would be worth it if it matched the 'slickness' of my Smartthings sytem and provided me with enough reliability for peace of mind.

1. My first problem. I plugged it in but I couldn't get it to connect to my wifi network. Not my 2.4ghz OR my 5Ghz one. A quick search on this forum and I discovered that it's because my SSID contains non-alphanumeric symbols. Not a major issue but a bit annoying since my Nest, Phone, Chromebook, Computer and WeMo smart plug all don't mind my SSID.
  2. It turns out that a recent firmware update allows the Arlo Q to accept the non-alphanumeric characters. No problem I thought, I'll change my SSID temporarily (it means my heating will be offline for a while), connect the Arlo Q, update the firmware, change my SSID back to it's original and reconnect the Arlo Q back to my orginial SSID (phew).
  3. I change my SSID and sure enough, the Arlo Q now connects. In the app I go to settings and can see an update is available. I go to 'Device Info' and learn that my current firmware is 1.7.5_5517 and there is an update to 1.8.3.2_16305. I click update....
  4. The live view tells me an update is in progress and so does the LED on the front of the camera which is blinking orange and blue. This happens for roughly a minute before returning to a solid blue LED. "Ah, the update must be complete". I go into settings just to double check... but wait, there is still an update available? The same update at that (1.8.3.2_16305). I try again. This loop continues for perhaps 5 attempts.
  5. After losing my patience with then manual update I try rebooting the camera. At startup, the LED starts blinking orange/blue again and the live feed reports an update is in progress. But again, same result, no update applies.
  6. So I think... I'll leave it overnight and see if the update applies automatically. I wake up this morning... no update.
  7. This morning I try removing the camera from the app, a factory reset (by sticking a pin the little hole) and re-adding the camera. Again, no update.
  8. At this stage my partner is getting cross because the Nest isn't connected to my network, the heating isn't coming on and she's getting cold!!
  9. So I think, stuff it. I'll keep with this SSID. Forget about the firmware update (do I need it?) and just reconnect all my existing wifi stuff to the new SSID. The camera seems to be working fine on this version.
  10. I have a play around in the Arlo app and try the microphone. It 'times out'. Hmmm... I have a look on here to find the fix. Guess what fixes it?! (I'm not even going to say it).

So not a very 'slick' introduction to the Arlo Q... it has been incredibly frustrating. Esepecially when you consider that I feel that I have paid a premium for robustness and reliability. I apreciate that not everyone has had the same experience as me because the camera attracts some quite positive reviews... but I have seen quite a few posts on here documenting the same issue as me.

Netgear - it would be quite nice of you to acknowledge if there is a problem. It would save putting people like me through this whole process where I feel like I am just bagging my head against the wall.

Can anyone else offer any other suggestions? I know returning the camera is one option... which obviously I am very close to doing!

Thanks a lot
Nick

EDIT: I should add that I've tried performing the update whilst the camera is disarmed. And I've also moved the camera next to the router. I suspect from reading on here it is sadly a 'return' job. But would be nice to hear someone from Netgear to shed some light on the issue. Thanks again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nick6young
Guide
Guide

I ended up having to swap the camera for a new one (I managed to get the plus model for the same price).

The firmware upgrades fine on the new camera. Thanks again AntmanXP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AntmanXP
Star
Star

I had this same issue with an Arlo Q (not the SSID issue, but the firmware update issue).  I fought with it for several days, placing it within feet of my router so the signal would be strong, but I couldn't get it to update the firmware.  I returned mine for a replacement and the new one worked fine.  I would recommend exchanging it.

nick6young
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the response AntmanXP. I'm going to leave it plugged in for a couple of days and, if it doesn't update, I'll try swapping it.

I'll report back with outcome.

Cheers
Nick
nick6young
Guide
Guide

I ended up having to swap the camera for a new one (I managed to get the plus model for the same price).

The firmware upgrades fine on the new camera. Thanks again AntmanXP

Mii81
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and I am already at my 3rd replacement since i bought the first one 3 days ago. Called support and but they where unaware with the issue. Hope the level 2 support can solve this issue as they advised to call back tomorrow.