Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Motion Detection Performance

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloManDan
Tutor
Tutor

I recently purchased a couple Arlo Qs for inside our home and a 5 pack of Arlo Pro 2s for outside our home. After setting up one of each model I started doing some motion detection testing. I started at 42ft away and repeated each test 3 times. Below are my results.

Walking slowly but steadily straight toward the camera.

- Arlo Q - Detected motion at around 6ft from camera

- Arlo Pro 2 - Detected motion at 22ft from camera

Pausing and waving at camera.

- Arlo Q - Detected motion at 6ft from camera

- Arlo Pro 2 - Detected motion at 22ft from camera

Pacing side to side.

- Arlo Q - Detected motion at 22ft from camera

- Arlo Pro 2 - Detected motion at 25ft from camera (large paces only)

As you can see, the Arlo Q really only worked at reasonable distance with large movements. I would have thought this camera would have had better motion detection than the Pro 2 since it uses pixel changes rather than IR (at least during the day). Is this normal? the software should be up to date (it updated right after set up). Should I try the other Alro Q?

6 REPLIES 6
ArloManDan
Tutor
Tutor

I guess I should add that I had the motion detection set to the highest level on both cameras. Also, I already reset and re-synced the Arlo Q, but still have the same range.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may have a faulty camera. My Q, looking through glass, detects easily past 25 feet.

ArloManDan
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. After chatting with netgear support I setup the second camera and gave it a try. Unfortunately, the results were more or less the same. Unless the movements were fairly large and across the field of vision I don't get picked up until I'm pretty darn close. In fact, I can enter the room head on from 25 ft away, walk 8ft forward, turn left and walk another 8ft to the hallway and leave without being seen about 3 out of 4 times. All with a dog in tow (she likes to herd me around).  Perhaps my expectations were a bit too high...

When your camera picks up motion is it only large across field movements?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The camera is set to see mostly cross-field motion but certainly there are events more at the camera at a distance. Here's a couple of examples (links will only last 24 hours):

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/F953FF1C4C3F1A0B_201804

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/107A40A42105FCA6_201804

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/CCA7F7DD8C28D395_201804

ArloManDan
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, that was really helpful. Based on the last video I would think it should pick me up more easily. On some of my tests where I entered and exited the room with out being detected I took up significantly more of the video frame. I wonder if the camera height has something to to with it. During testing, the camera was on a fireplace mantle about 5ft high. Maybe putting it up higher and angling it down will cause me to cross more of the frame and aid detection.

On a another note, it looks like you set it to record for a fixed length each time. Has that helped performance? My video lengths are all over the place and sometimes stop before before the motion is done well short of the 300 second cap I set it to. They also often say they are in excess of an hour or two in length even though they are often less than 30 seconds (sounds like a common problem).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I should point out that I have zoomed to about 75% of the total viewable area, not that that should make a difference. I'm not using zones at the moment.

I ahven't ever found the need to use tricks to get the Q to detect well. It's my preferred camera simply because it's all pixel-based detection unlike any of the other cameras. It's worked very well for me although my useage has been almost exclusively through a window. I would think that this would be a harder test due to dirt on the windows, possible distortion, etc. If you're indoors and have the sensitivity turned up and can't be easily detected, I'd say your camera is faulty and should be replaced.

Yes, I use fixed time recordings. I do have some cameras set for record while motion continues and it works for me. I generally prefer fixed times, though, to eliminate issues at the possible cost of missing something during the camera reset time.