Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
benjamindraper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a base station and an Arlo Q two weeks ago and after several conversations with support geofencing still does not work properly on a second device.  I am seriously considering returning the whole system because it doesn't work and support seems unable to fix the problem.  Open to suggestions as a last resort.

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe mis-understanding you... the Q camera does not use a base.  Did you buy two systems ?

If so, on which device isn't the geofenceing working ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
benjamindraper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought the base with a single Arlo Pro camera which I am not using Geofencing on.  I also purchased an Arlo Q which I am trying to use the geofencing feature with.  It picks up my activity most of the time (a couple times it didn't detect me coming home), but my wifes phone almost never gets detected.  Even when it does seem to respond correctly, the status in the app for her phone is rarely accurate.  I have tried reinstalling the app, making sure that location services are on Always, logging out and back in and still it isn't consistent.  Currently even though she is at home with her phone on it is showing unavailable in the geofencing settings where you select the device.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

this may help....

As to your phone, try a larger geo-circle setting as sometime the phones use AGPS and are not as accurate

To the wife's phone ;

Geofencing is designed to operate on a "first in, last out basis". This means that if any device is in the Geofencing radius the "Home" mode will enable, and the "Away" mode should only enable when the last device has left the radius.

How does the first in, last out principal work with geofencing mode for my Arlo cameras?

For this to work be sure the app stays logged in, is running and location is enabled on your devices. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

When using multiple devices, the secondary devices should be logged into the app via shared account through the "Grant Access" feature so that both devices are logged in using the mobile app. Take a look at this article for more information: How do I add and manage multiple mobile devices for geofencing?

If you are having trouble with this, consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Morse is faster than texting!
benjamindraper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I increased the geofence to medium and also had my wife turn off her wifi to see if that was part of the problem and it is still showing her phone as "unavailable" in the geofencing settings.  Because of that it arms the camera because I am out of the zone and it doesn't see any devices within it even though her phone is.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

benjamindraper,

It sounds like the app isn't running on her device. Some devices have settings that close apps after they are idle for a period of time. You might check to make sure no settings like this are enabled.

The Arlo mobile app must always be running on all enabled devices for Geofencing to work.

JamesC

benjamindraper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have double checked and she has no apps on her iPhone that shuts down apps.  I also have checked to make sure the background refresh setting is on for the arlo app.  Her phone still shows up as unavailble in geofencing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

benjamindraper,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC