Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have noticed that about every 4 days, my Arlo Q Plus (and less often, my Arlo Q) drops in bit rate to very low levels (~100kbps); with the resulting videos looking very bad.  The resolution, currently set at 1080p, does not change, but key frames are so sparse that objects become ghosts as they travel though the image, leaving a trail behind them.  Once the cameras get into this mode, they never recover until I reset them via the web app.  Once reset, the videos become normal again.  The issue affects both library videos and CVR.  I have Comcast Blast with confirmed internet upload speeds in excess of 12Mbps.  The Q Plus is connected via 1000Base-T ethernet, so there is no wireless quality issue to deal with.

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hokeysmoke,

Consider factory resetting your Arlo Q Plus. This can be done by logging in to your Arlo account and navigating to Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Q Plus > Remove Device.

You will then need to add it back your account after the factory reset is complete.

If you are still seeing this behavior, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

ForTesting
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have this problem.  All of my cameras are the latest firmware. Both the CVR and motion footage has ghost images.  I've tried factory reset, but they continue to revert back to ghost images after a week or two.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your upload speed?  Have you tried using a lower resolution to see if that helps?

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The workaround I am currently employing is running the camera from a digital timer (this one) which turns off for one minute per day.  The minute I chose was close to the time where it always starts to ghost (around 1:45pm).

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My Q and Q Plus both upgraded to 1.8.3_9642 firmware yesterday.  Is this firmware intended to fix the ghosting issue? The details are not mentioned in the FW Updates sub-forum.  I am wondering if I can take the cameras off their daily reset timers to confirm a fix is in place.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hokeysmoke,

I have posted the release notes for this firmware update here: Release Notes - Arlo Q/Q+ FW 1.8.3_9442 - 14th November 2016

I will escalate your question for further clarification if this issue was addressed in this firmware release. Please let me know if you are still seeing this behavior.

JamesC

Dinerve
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

hokeysmoke,

I have posted the release notes for this firmware update here: Release Notes - Arlo Q/Q+ FW 1.8.3_9442 - 14th November 2016

I will escalate your question for further clarification if this issue was addressed in this firmware release. Please let me know if you are still seeing this behavior.

JamesC

Did you make a typo? We are currently run 1.8.3_9642 and NOT _9442 as in the post you made. Is this a different, newer firmware? If yes, what's the changelog?

Thanks,

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dinerve,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This was a typo, 1.8.3_9642 is current as of 11/14/2016.

I have updated the release notes accordingly.

JamesC

bcleaver
Star
Star

Hi @hokeysmoke, I'm curious whether you're still needed to reset the camera's every so often? I have the latest (1.8.3.0_9926) and am seeing ghosting after some indeterminate amount of time so I'm interested to know if your issue was resolved, or whether it's ongoing.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Nothing hs changed.  I am seeing the same thing.