Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q audio stops working

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Shariaty
Tutor
Tutor

this happens a couple of times a day. The audio functionality (Microphone and Speaker) stops working and I'm not hearing sound when live streaming Arlo Q.

so far I had to restart the camera everytime to fix this. is there a permanent fix to it?

Arlo Q settings is checked and made sure microphone is enabled.
it is not the web browser issue casue I checked the PC and my Iphone app and both had the same issue.

22 REPLIES 22
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact Netgear Support

Also some of the Pro cameras had hardware issues

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
dawiz22
Star
Star

I have exactly the same problem. I have two Arlo Q Plus cameras and one Arlo Q. For all of them, audio cuts out after a short amount of time. First, audio gets choppy, then a few hours later, it's gone. I have a 24h recording subscription for one of the Arlo Q Plus cameras and when audio cuts out, it completely stops recording audio as well - it's not just an issue with the live stream. 

If I reboot the camera or simply turn the camera off or on again, the issue disappears for some time and then comes back after anywhere between 12 and 24 hours. 

As this is an issue I'm having with all three cameras, I'd say it's probably not hardware-related but rather a firmware bug.

So far, I've tried:

- switching PoE adapters (I've used tp-link ones, one made by ZyXEL and now I have them hooked up to my PoE master switch. Didn't make any difference
- I've hooked them up to a variety of WiFi APs (Unifi, Fritz!Box etc.), no difference. 

- Various apps (Android, iOS, browser), no difference.

I have a 500mbit/s (down) and 25 mbit/s (up) cable internet connection with gibabit LAN all over the house - that can't be the issue. I've recently replaced all the switches in the rooms with Netgear ProSafe models and the ZyXEL PoE switch in the server room is also new (before it was also a Netgear ProSafe). None of that made any difference. I should also say that I have other cameras in use (Netatmo Presence outside, as well as one Nest Cam and a MyFox camera that came with my alarm system). All of them support 24h recording and all of them work perfectly. 

This has been really frustrating. I've wanted to add Arlo Pro cameras outside in the garage etc., but I'm putting that on hold until support can resolve this problem. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic for review. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Shariaty
Tutor
Tutor

Already did. they advised me to remove it first and then add it again. I'll do it today and let you know if that helped.

bigcahuna23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've done the same thing as well.  Completely removed both Arlo Q cameras and re-added them.  It would work for maybe 18 hours and then the audio portion would cut out and then the video would be buggy.  Really thinking about returning this.  Let me know if its good for you after a couple days.  

Shariaty
Tutor
Tutor

I contacted the support and after a couple of days trying to resolve it, they sent me a replacement. I'll see if I have more issues with the new one.

pom_boy
Guide
Guide
This issue has just started for me as well. One camera at one location works fine with audio, another camera at another (more critical) location now has no audio inneither live streaming or motion/audio prompted videos.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You may need to reset thee camera using the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber. Resync normally.
pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Thanks but I am loathe to try a reset from afar in case the camera does not recommend st least the same level of functionality it has now i.e. It might ask for the qr code repairing which I cannot do anything a distance. I'd rather have a camera with no audio than no camera at all for the short term.
This camera also has cvr running on it and the cvr audio is missing too. The microphone obviously works because videos are being triggered by audio,
This is a change in behaviour that has occurred without any setting changes by me.
pom_boy
Guide
Guide
*recommence at*
pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Another symptom is that the live picture will not connect- constant spinning wheel in centre of screen, although you can manually take a snapshot or video (still no sound).
pom_boy
Guide
Guide
Magically the sound is back and I can connect to the camera using the 'live' button. I'm not filled with confidence in the stability or reliability of the Arlo q at the moment...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you sure the WiFi signal is good?  The symptoms sound like a weak signal or interference could be an issue.

dawiz
Initiate
Initiate

Mine are hooked up via ethernet (500 mbit connection from the ISP, 50 mbit/s up) and I still have the same problems. It's not a WiFi issue. 

Shariaty
Tutor
Tutor

Reset did not resolve the issue permanently for me, restarting the camera would fix the issue for 3-4 hours. I tried to troubleshoot with a Netgear support technician for a couple of hours (which he checked everything like device signal strength, internet bandwidth, etc.)

I am a senior network engineer at cisco, so when it comes to connectivity I know what I'm talking about. I suggest stop wasting your time and contact support. Most likely they will replace your camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
^ +1
islandboylp
Star
Star

I'm having the exact same problem with my Q.  The audio cuts out during CVR recording and only comes back if I restart the camera.  I also noticed that when the audio has cut out, the video skips around and gets digital noise (blocks) when people are moving across the frame.

Unsure what the problem is as the camera works fine for random amounts of time (usually between 12-24 hours) then a restart is necessary to fix the audio & video issues.

This problem doesn't happen if I take the camera off CVR  and only use it for motion recording.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

islandboylp,

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this topic.

JamesC

turnerj13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought my arlo q on amazon. It worked perfectly for about a week and now I have no sound. I am thinking of returning it. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What have you done to troubleshoot it?
Santhoffjt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Reset, turned off, unplugged..... just about everything.
islandboylp
Star
Star

I really think it's a problem with adding the cameras to the CVR plan; weather the 24/7 record causes hardware issues after x time, or if it's temporary wifi interfearance that goes away but then causes transmit issues with the cameras untill their restarted...

I detailed my experience with the Q & Q+ on CVR in another thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/CVR-and-motion-detection-videos-3-4-second-lag/m-p/1298752#M...

Q works perfeclty fine when not on CVR, when on CVR there's always issues with audio, black video, not being able to live stream (all occur after a period of 12-24 horus of record time); all issues resolve after a restart of the camera.  But it's not pratical to restart the camera daily.