Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q cannot connect to my system

Discussion stats
ethorson
Initiate
Initiate

I have an Arlo base station with 4 wireless cameras.  I am trying to add an Arlo Q to my network.  My router is a Netgear 6300 to which my Arlo base station is attached via cable.  The Arlo Q unit blinks yellow, then when I hold the sync button down it flashes blue.  At that point I point the camera at the image on the computer screen the unit makes a chiming sound and the unit tries to connect to the network.  It tries for about a minute and then makes a DahDum sound and goes back to flashing yellow.  I have also tried to use the WPS on my Netgear router to make a connection.  That also tries to connect, after a while it times out and I get a screen instructing me to reset the Arlo Q using a paper clip. I have tried that and nothing works.  I am using Windows 10 Pro with the latest drivers.  The other Arlo cameras are working fine.  Can I get some help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ethorson
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.  The problem was the password to my router.  It is working now.  I bought my Arlo Q from Best Buy

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Wow.. got a Q.

BTW, the reset for Q is to hold in the reset for about 10sec with paperclip... the front led should flash

Sounds def like it needs a reset

slow amber flash is powered

fast amber flash is camera not connected to wifi

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, it may be the WiFi band used.  Try the other band, depending on what your router supports.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ethorson,

When going through the Arlo Q setup be sure you are typing in your SSID/password correctly and EXACTLY as it appears (case sensitive, spaces, underscores, etc.)

If you are still having trouble try claiming the Arlo Q with a different device on the same network such as a mobile phone.

JamesC

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry to hear of your problems, but just as an aside, ethorson, may I ask where you purchased your Arlo Q?  I didn't think they were available until January 13th and I'm fairly keen on getting one (my Cam #5 too) as soon as possible.  Thanks.

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem, except I've tried connecting with iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, and iMac (via website).  Were you ever able to get your camera to connect?

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

SOLUTION:  Be sure and enter your WI-FI name and password and not your ARLO user id and password.  My devices were auto filling these fields with my ARLO user name and password.  Once I entered my Wi-Fi name and password it connected easily.  

susanw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got my Q today and I am having the same problem.  I get the flashing blue light, then the chime, then a not-so-pleasant sound and it goes to a fast flashing amber light.

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Are you putting in your Arlo id and password or are you putting in your WIFI name and password?
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

susanw wrote:

Just got my Q today and I am having the same problem.  I get the flashing blue light, then the chime, then a not-so-pleasant sound and it goes to a fast flashing amber light.

susanw --- From where did you (or any of you) purchase your Arlo Q?

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Bought it last night at Best Buy, Pineville, NC
lucidgravity
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine Q is doing the exact same thing your's is. I even went into my router to try and watch the request from the camera to the router and never see it. I then increase my router the 40 mhz in case of interference... still no go... looks like a bust! Off I go to Best Buy for the return.... 😞

lucidgravity
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally figured out my problem...I have Cisco router. It has a router name and password to log into it. It then has a SSid name and passphrase to install plug and play items. Then there is a seperate wpa2 password for items that aren't plug and play... I put in the WPA2 password and ssid... boom it's working like a champ. I feel so dumb for not thinking of that to begin with...maybe that will help a couple of peolpe out there...

ethorson
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.  The problem was the password to my router.  It is working now.  I bought my Arlo Q from Best Buy

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

susanw,

The "not-so-pleasant sound" you are hearing along with the flashing amber LED is an indication that you may not have entered your SSID and password correctly. Be sure that the information you enter in these two fields is correct and EXACTLY as it appears (case sensitive, spaces, underscores, etc.)

For more information on Arlo Q setup take a look at the following:

How do I set up Arlo Q on Android?

How do I set up Arlo Q on iOS?

Please let me know if you continue having trouble.

JamesC

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

JamesC wrote:

...be sure you are typing in your SSID/password correctly and EXACTLY as it appears (case sensitive, spaces, underscores, etc.)

ToastyFlake wrote:

Be sure and enter your WI-FI name and password and not your ARLO user id and password.  

I THINK I know (I have several to chose from but since I don't access these only rarely) but where exactly does one obtain their "SSID/password" or "WI-FI name and password" or where do they "appear?"   I readily have my router's serial number.  Is this the same as an SSID (which I found means Service Set IDentifier)?  Could somebody show an example of what an SSID might look like (maybe replacing a critical number of two)?  That would probably help many of us.  Thanks.

P.S.  I ordered my "Q" from BB today.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The SSID and password are those you already use to connect to your WiFi. You need to connect the Q directly to your WiFi as opposed to the base station being hardwired to the router, acting as an intermediary between the router and cameras.

ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you got your wifi from a service provider, it's probably on a sticker on the wifi unit. Here's a link to a picture that shows what it looks like on my AT&T provided unit.

http://imgur.com/NgoZCIb
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks jguerdat and ToastyFlake.  I just realized I access both my network name and password two or three times a year on my Roku box, so I now remember what they both are.  And then hook it up to the router, huh?  OK, I'm all set then for when its delivered it on the 19th.   I appreciate you folks jiggling my pointy little head.

Matt_ccw
Aspirant
Aspirant
3 hours later it is still blinking blue and not connecting. I thought that it was the amount of cameras that I have (5 and arlo q would make 6), but I removed one and it still will not connect. Why did netgear release arlo q early? Surely they new about this problem.
Cinglestar
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had similar issues with my Arlo Q staying online for about the past week. At first I deleted the Q from my app and reset the camera and reinstalled it to the app. The last time. It went offline again. The last time, I took it off the 5GHz connection and put it on the 2.4 band with the hopes that connectivity is only due to distance from my router. On another note, I purchased the Q to replace the monitor in our baby room and add to the other 3 wireless cams. While I can share the wireless cams with my wife, I cannot figure out how to share the Q access with her. This is a huge issue for us as the baby room is the most monitored room by both of us and we each need access without having to reset each time one of us wants to have the access on their device while the other is away. Am I missing something? I hope this is not something that will not be possible. I'll be returning the camera if this functionality isn't available. I love the other cameras and the Arlo system in general, but this is very disappointing.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For the multiple folks viewing, only one person/device at a time can view the main account.  However, add friends (Grant Access in Settings) would allow both of you to view at the same time.  As for being offline, there have been some server issues recently but make sure you have good signal between the camera and the router.  Interference with other wireless devices is always a possibility but you had it on 5GHz so not likely at that time. Of course, the signal is more easily attenuated on the higher frquency so it's a trade-off.

Rbarrett
Aspirant
Aspirant

got mine from amazon  today  doing the same thing

Arizphys
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone had success connecting the Arlo-Q to their WIFI. No one has posted an actual solution. We also have a dual band WIFI and are not able to establish a WIFI connection on either band. And YES we have typed the network name and password EXACTLY as it was set up originally for our WIFI network .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you try a reset of the camera via the reset button?