Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q cannot connect to my system

Discussion stats
ethorson
Initiate
Initiate

I have an Arlo base station with 4 wireless cameras.  I am trying to add an Arlo Q to my network.  My router is a Netgear 6300 to which my Arlo base station is attached via cable.  The Arlo Q unit blinks yellow, then when I hold the sync button down it flashes blue.  At that point I point the camera at the image on the computer screen the unit makes a chiming sound and the unit tries to connect to the network.  It tries for about a minute and then makes a DahDum sound and goes back to flashing yellow.  I have also tried to use the WPS on my Netgear router to make a connection.  That also tries to connect, after a while it times out and I get a screen instructing me to reset the Arlo Q using a paper clip. I have tried that and nothing works.  I am using Windows 10 Pro with the latest drivers.  The other Arlo cameras are working fine.  Can I get some help?

58 REPLIES 58
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arizphys, everyone in this thread who posted that they could not initially get connected to wifi, did get connected and they posted that their solution was getting the wifi name and password correct. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... as mentioned the biggest problem in the SSID(network name) and password during setup... they have to be exactly right ( caps count ).

Also take time to check what the flashing of the leds mean;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-do-the-LED-lights-on-my-Arlo-Q-camera-mean...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Mannenkjetil
Aspirant
Aspirant
I got this camera to work with this settings:
Wireless Network Mode:  Mixed
Wireless Network Name: 
Aksesspunkt 1
Wireless Channel: 4 - 2.427 GHZ
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable

Security Mode: WEP
Default Transmit  Key: 1
WEP Encryption: 128 bits 26 hex digits

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Strongly suggest you change your WiFi security to WPA2. WEP can be fairly easily broken, letting intruders into your network.

Mannenkjetil
Aspirant
Aspirant
I know that WEP can be easily broken but i can't get my camera to work with WPA2. I don't know why but as long as my camera is ok, i can survive that settings in my router.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Seems like the router may need a firmware update or just needs to be replaced so compatibility is improved. As long as you're comfortable...

ValleNorte
Guide
Guide

I would try a firmware update on the router maybe? I have no issues connecting my cams on WP2 through my Apple TC router. WEP is seriously weak and even the rudimentary skilled could get in within seconds. Good luck.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
After spending most of the early morning on the phone with tech support giving me false information, I finally figured out the problem and am now up and running with both my Arlo Q cameras. There are 2 major bugs in the software and a 3rd that's a bit of an edge case but will prevent some from successfully getting through the installation process. Please close out issue of customer number 30790020. It's a real shame that my application for the beta program of this device wasn't excepted. I can tell you this... all information I've seen from Netgear is nowhere near the root cause of these installation problems.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
And I'm not bitter so much about not getting chosen for the beta program as I am the runaround I've been getting all morning long from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
Cuellar, what are the bugs in the software that you found?
ktflame
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes do share

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

interested to know...plse share

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Hahaha! I'd be happy to discuss the details of that after proper compinsation for troubleshooting and finding a workaround to the software.
I will say this…
It has absolutely nothing to do with the users Wi-Fi system. (With the exception of user error In remembering passwords) Continuing to have people mess about with their router/WiFi can cause more problems. Also despite the insistence of the tech support person who failed to listen to anything I had to offer and was more insistent in having me do the exact same thing that didn't work the first 6 times the Arlo Q is not limited to functionality to the 2.4Ghz WiFi channel only. I'm currently up and running fine on a 5 Ghz channel.
Kudos to the Arlo Q hardware team. I was seconds away from shipping both cameras back and being done with the whole mess. However, after I managed to find a workaround to the two main install bugs, I am most impressed with the image quality (especially low light) and functionality of the camera. They really saved this from being yet another return. I applaud their fine work.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Please understand... It's not that I'm a greedy jerk. There is no customer loyalty whatsoever. At every corner Netgear has their hand out wanting more money instead of doing something decent like offering a discounted upgrade oath it discount to existing customers. Instead they want to charge us again another service fee in order to obtain full functionality of them already over priced product. If you weren't for all the BS that I had to go through in order to get their product up in the first place and being prompted 25 times a day on different ways to purchase a new camera I might be in a little bit more of a giving mood.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Sorry. In a bit of a rush this morning and was using voice dictation to create those messages.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Also no router firmware upgrades are necessary. Tech-support suggested that I contact AT&T in order to help resolve the problem. My contribution is to save fellow users more headache and troubles by telling you what are the problems ARE NOT the cause.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the story,....wish you would post more.... but ok.

btw, yes we knew the Q works on 2.4 and 5ghz band.

As to compensation, don't hold your breath 🙂

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Hahaha... I wasn't gunna hold my breath. No. Not everybody there knows that it works on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Please look into the lady That I talk to one calling tech-support. She insisted that it did not work on 5 GHz want to me to Reconfigure my Wi-Fi because it only worked on 2.4.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
If you could somehow locate the Recording of that session I believe you'll find it quite shocking as to how that call was handled
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Cuellar wrote:
If you could somehow locate the Recording of that session I believe you'll find it quite shocking as to how that call was handled

I feel your pain... I've called tech support in the past and knew more about the product then then did.

My last call went thru two people and no one had an answer other than " we'll call you back ".  Sorry to say when you export service calls, you get what you sometimes pay for.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
My apologies Tom. In my haste earlier I thought you were part of the Netgear team. Yes, it's quite disappointing. Until a recent career change I've worked in SQA for over 20 years at 3Dfx, Logitech, ATI/AMD to name a few. I attempted to provide as much information including things I had already tried. She wouldn't listen to a word I said and appeared to be reading from some kind of flowchart that had me repeating things over and over that I had already tried prior to calling. I quickly realized she was utterly useless but wanted to see how this flowchart ended. Big mistake. My fellow colleagues Were horrified after hearing the details. After telling them what the problem is, they were equally shocked to find that there wasn't a test case in place for this failure.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
And by the way… It does pain me to not share the information. However I'm hoping that this incident will be a wake up call to Netgear in customer loyalty as well as spotlight just how I'll equipt their technical support is. It is my theory is that this forum is not created out of kind gesture on their part. But rather to get their customers to find and share solutions to problems they missed at a zero cost
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Good luck to everyone. I'm logging on the form and hope they find you a solution very soon because the product is great once you get up and running Cheers!
Budk
Guide
Guide

So let's summarize: you just filled several pages of the forum telling us that you're smarter than anyone at Netgear, whining about your support experience, complaining about Netgear's alleged incompetence, and then you won't help anyone else because you feel you should be compensated for all the time you spent. This forum exists for us to help each other but you're more interested in your ego than in sharing. Why didn't you just keep all this to yourself since you weren't going to contribute anyway? Oh yes, I remember, you wanted us to know that you're smarter then everyone. Interesting that your time spent on the phone was so valuable, but you had plenty of time to waste ours with your useless bragging and whining. Thanks 

JcArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same problems, Q camera is flashing blue led but nothing else, I used iPhone 6 and I did followed the instructions to detail