Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
krinks
Follower
Follower

I just purchased the camera and set it up yesterday. Can see the area from the camera perfectly and hear what is happening clearly on my iphone, but cannot get the microphone to work. All settings appear to be proper, but when I press on the microphone it says "connecting" and never connects.

Don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is the connection or the camera. Firmware updated as soon as I plugged the camera in.

38 REPLIES 38
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing is to check the app in settings on the iphone and make sure it has permissions to use the mic

I would also test the Q camera via a PC to actually see if it is working or if the issue is phone related.

( at https://arlo.netgear.com/ )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

krinks,

Do you see the same behavior when using the web client on a PC? What model iOS device and carrier do you have?

JamesC

lemonch
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same exact situation.. This happens consistantly when on data plan, tmobile, voice & data. I try to make a hotspot and have another device connect and it works! but it never work with data plan alone.. using wifi everything works fine.. Need solution..
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lemonch,

This is currently being investigated by the engineering team. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

homeforus
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is exactly what's happening with me too. I can push to talk from my iPhone as long as I am on wifi, but it doesn't work on LTE/cell networks. 

Imcleo1
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue with Arlo Q. I can hear the sounds when live. If I speak you can not hear me at the location of the camera however since there is about 5 to 8 seconds delay between what is going on at the location and the feed back on my cell I can hear my voice played back on my phone. I have and Iphone 7 plus and T-Mobile is my service provider. I check the setting on my phone and Arlo is not blocked on my privacy setting and the Arlo app has been granted access to the microphone. I do not see anything else that I can check. Is the camera defective? Does is really have the capability of two way communication. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Imcleo1,

Consider testing using a computer via the web client to further isolate the issue. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

homeforus
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having this same problem and I'm also on T-mobile. This problem only happens when I'm on mobile data. I have plenty of speed but the push to talk function doesn't work. It just says connecting and never connects.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

homeforus,

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue.

JamesC

dchou1987
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing happenign with me too. Really need a fix.

homeforus
Aspirant
Aspirant

More than month has gone by with still no fix for this. 

Imcleo1
Guide
Guide

I am really considering filing a complaint for false advertising. Their product does not work as advertised.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

homeforus, Imcleo1

This issue is specific to T-Mobile devices. Engineering is still working to resolve the issue. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

Imcleo1
Guide
Guide

Your engineers have been working on the issue for what 3, 4 months since I bought the camera? What are we supposed to do in the meantime? I specifically looked for certain features when I bought the camera and two way talk was one of the features I was looking for. Your response does not help the fact that the camera does not have two way talk if you are using T-Mobile and that should have been disclosed because if it had, I would have not purchased the camera. I have my cell phone with me at all time, I do not carry my computer and/or laptop around with me all day long. I have not even try to see if it works with the computer, it does me no good. 

homeforus
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC wrote:

homeforus, Imcleo1

This issue is specific to T-Mobile devices. Engineering is still working to resolve the issue. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

I have access to AT&T iPhones and a Verizon iPhones. I will test this out and report back. In the meantime, I should tell everyone that push to talk works fine on my T-Mobile phone on Ring cameras and Nest cameras. 

KatyTX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with the mic not connecting while using Tmobile data. Thought the problem would go away once I upgraded to iphone 8 plus. However, that is not the case. Same old problem.  I have been waiting patiently for a solution from Arlo's engineer, but my patient is wearing real thin.

Need4Surfn
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC any update from Engineering? 

Imcleo1
Guide
Guide

I bought the camera in May, reported the problem in June after trying several ways to solve the problem. 3 months later, they expect me to pay to return the camera so it can be exchanged. Mind you, they know there is a problem with the camera, the advertise a feature that does not seem to work for many and they expect the customers to pay to return a defective product that does not do what it advertises to do. 

van_nostrum
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there an update/fix for this? I have the same issue on Verizon iPhone. Thank you.
van_nostrum
Aspirant
Aspirant
Upgrade to 1.8.3.1_14872 firmware solved the issue. Thank you.
consensus2
Guide
Guide

My camera refuses to update from FW version 1.74_5517. It's stuck.

moralfam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an iPhone 8 and the app won’t even request access to my mic. It just says connecting.
consensus2
Guide
Guide

That was the way it manifested for me also. What FW version does your camera have? Newer FW is supposed to fix the push-to-talk isuue. My Arlo Q was however unable to update to the latest version, hence I returned it to the store and got me an additional Arlo Pro camera instead.

Zeninu2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought two Arlo Q cameras and have the same problem when I hold the microphone button to talk it just says connecting. I have an iPhone SE and FW 1.8.3.1_14872. Please advise how to make this work..