Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q constantly refocusing

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

I have both Arlo Qs and Arlo Pro cameras.  If it wasn't for the fact that there isn't a system that I know of with a better app (which isn't saying much), I would ditch the whole setup.

I've had to replace 3 out of the 4 wireless cameras for various issues (ticking, won't connect, etc).  Final remaining "original" unit is ticking but I can't be bothered.

Arlo Qs are better but they are constantly going blurry when streaming/reviewing video footage.  It is all but useless to identify anything/anyone.  I'm using one of the Qs as a baby monitor and I have to say that anyone who buys the new Arlo Baby is crazy.  75% of the time I have a blurry mass of a toddler; like a pile of sheets sucking its thumb.

So all that to say: any suggestions on how to have a halfway reliable/clear image that isn't constantly pixelated and refocusing?  I'd settle for 50% at this point.  I don't believe it's a wifi issue but it's not impossible.

Thanks for letting me rant.

4 REPLIES 4
YYZ-Arlo
Star
Star

Here's a sample video, from about 1:10 to 1:30 you can see it goes in and out of focus a few times.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/BDA072EFC1016AA6_201703

Link is only good for 24 hours apparently.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The pixelation usu has a couple causes , IMO...  the first being poor signal / interference

Can't say why your having an issue, but is doesn't seem normal with my experience and the Q cams..

I'd send this off to SUPPORT with a trouble report to see what they come uo with ..( yes i know it can be painful till you get to upper level support but don't give up easy )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I dunno - looks about normal to me.  The fact that it's in low light may be part of the issue with a sudden brightness causing an issue (exposure coupled with compression?).  The camera doesn't focus - it's fixed.  However, the mentioned timeframe above shows what I'd consider to be just compression artifacts and/or possibly a short interference of some sort causing the signal to weaken.  Hard to say for sure.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agreed it's not the focus... but more pixelation.  It could be a light charge/ iris adjustment... but there's a time it just to slow and doesn't seem to work like mine... I'd test it closer to the wifi signal with similar lighting to see if if makes a diff.

Poor signal or interference / compression chnge or rez change which can happen automaticly as signal drops

Morse is faster than texting!