Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Electrozad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting false motion alerts on my arlo q camera-its happening when lights in my home are automatically swithed on or off. I have set the sensitivity down to 2 but I still get these false alerts-any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That very well is an issue you may not be able to fix... The Q's work on pixel change ( instead of IR like the Arlos ) ...when your lights come on the cameras sees a change and gets triggered.

There was an issus in the past similar of someone watching an elderly parent , but the Q was going off based on the flickering of the TV being watched at night.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electrozad wrote:

I am getting false motion alerts on my arlo q camera-its happening when lights in my home are automatically swithed on or off. I have set the sensitivity down to 2 but I still get these false alerts-any suggestions?

Thinking laterally, there is a way to do this but it will be a bit of a pain. Once set it should be minimal work.

You need to use a Schedule Mode.  Essentially you are going to turn off (disarm) your indoor Q camera a few minutes before your home light(s) automatically turn on or off.  For example if you are going on holiday and have your lights set to turn on at 6:15 PM and turn off at 10:00 PM, then you will create a Schedule mode that has your Q armed as usual from Midnight until 6:13 PM, then you switch it to Disarmed until 6:18 PM. It then switches back to Armed from 6:19 PM to 9:57 PM. Switch it Disarmed for 5 minutes to cover the lights going off at 10:00 PM. Switch it back from 10:03 to 11:59 PM.  

This works becasue the Q looks for changed pixels in what it sees and when you Arm it after the lights come on, that view is the new status quo.

That's just one example. If you have other 'light events' then you need to make additional changes.  In my opinion this is better than lowering your sensitivity as you *do* want to catch motion and record real events.

If you are uncomfortable with having them Disarmed for say 5 minutes around the light change times, then you could make the rule used during those times to be one where just a snapshot is taken on 'motion' and to not send you a notification.  If it were a real ingress into your home it is .likely there will be additional motion that you would be notified about after the camera came back into Armed mode.

Anyway, just an idea.  I used a similar scenario the last time I went away for a few weeks although it was a bit more complicated as the light turned on and off at differrent times on each day of the week, but I still just had to do the work to set it up once, then it worked well by itself. 

TomCarlos
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have seen numerous posts that suggest the Arlo Q can adjust the Sensitivity.  I see no such adjustment in the App.  I have created a small detection zone but still getting numerous false triggers.  The camera is inside, pointing outside through a window.  It is on a window sill that is approx 24 inches off the ground.  There is a wall on the left, just outside the window.  It looks like I am getting alarms everytime a light comes on, car drives by with lights, etc.  So I do not see how you can adjust the camera to eliminate these problems.  Thanks in advance for advice.  Tom

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sensitivity is set in your modes and rules.  Read the FAQs here about creating and modifying modes. Basically, use the Mode tab, select your camera and edit the Armed mode. It's a good idea to create your own custom modes for complete control, too.

TomCarlos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I'll give it a try. I am also thinking I might need to move the camera to the top of the window opening and have it point in a downward direction.