Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
FamilyMartz
Initiate
Initiate

My Arlo Q was been working fine for almost a month since I installed it, but today it stopped recording audio. When I see the camera live streaming or recorded videos in the library, I can see the motion, but it doesn't have audio. Any idea how to fix that? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, verify the settings in Settings, My Devices.  Maybe toggle them off, save, and then back on and save.  Make sure that the volume is turned up for both the camera as well as the device you're viewing on.  If necessary, remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, verify the settings in Settings, My Devices.  Maybe toggle them off, save, and then back on and save.  Make sure that the volume is turned up for both the camera as well as the device you're viewing on.  If necessary, remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync it.

lanek
Initiate
Initiate

We are having the same problem. Resetting seems to help but only for a short period. By the time you use it for the next session the audio stops. Constantly resetting the device is not a good enough solution. Surely there is a firmware fix for this? How can we revert to a previous firmware to see if this fixes the issue

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not possible to revert firmware.  Contact support using the Support link above here and open a case to raise awareness.  I don't know if this is a hardware, firmware or server issue so that contact would be needed to figure it out.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lanek,

I agree with jguerdat, if this is an ongoing issue. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've also had this issue, and it is an ongoing support item that's been open for several weeks now, and still unresolved with no real answers or helpful suggestions. It's been occuring on Arlo Q and Arlo Q Plus cameras, with no internet connection issues. This is a serious glitche in performance from a security camera, and it seems to be widespread and unanswered. The Arlo Support Team has not actually helped any issues that I've reported, only asked lots of redundant questions and passed the buck to someone else. 

JamesC wrote:

lanek,

I agree with jguerdat, if this is an ongoing issue. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

baznik
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought these cameras. Can someone please confirm if there is live audio? The guy at jb said there is but nothing work in about to return them. Also cant get audio to work on recordings either. Nik
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, 2-way audio is provided. In Settings,My Devices, ensure audio is enabled and the volume turned up. Also, in your modes (Armed, by default), ensure audio is enabled.  Using live view, use the microphone icon to test the audio - someone should be able to hear you and you, them. The mobile apps have an issue with volume so test using a computer, perhaps with the mic gain on the computer turned up.

baznik
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for your response. Under settings video & audio there is nothing for audio? And nothing under mode. I will try on laptop but that defets the purpose of having these cameras. Nik
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may need to reboot the phone and resinstall the app.  If that doesn't help, try resetting the camera using the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber.  Sync it again.  Did any of that help?

martinka
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm experiencing the same problem.  Extremely frustrating. I have to restart the camera almost every day! Were you able to resolve the problem?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Have you opened a case with support?
baznik
Aspirant
Aspirant
Guys these cameras dont have audio! I went back to jb i spoke to another sales guy he said he installed these for a shop but they dont have audio!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cameras certainly do have audio and always have.  Only the original wireless cameras have no audio.

martinka
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spoke to customer service two weeks ago when I first noticed this problem and I was told that they never heard of this issue. I was left with no solution but to call back if I had any more problems. I just bought the camera two months ago. I was kind of annoyed with their response since I just prepaid for the annual subscription to the 24/7 CVR. The problem has gotten worse and I now have to restart the camera almost every day. I wish I knew what I know now sooner, I would have returned the camera. A few times now, I needed to review a conversation between my employee and a customer but no sound was recorded. Also, when this happens the picture jumps, freezes and pixelates. The other time, I needed to download a part of the CVR of a person using a fake credit card and I found out that there is no option to do so. This is a separate issue and something they are aware of but they don’t have a solution as of right now. I was able to take screen shots and record the audio with my cell phone. I also have 4 Arlo Pros and they work great. I have a tiny store and the five cameras cover every angle of my store. I will open a case ASAP. I was looking for more feedback before I talk to them again. Obviously, this is a problem they had for a while now.     

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unfortunately, it sounds like bad hardware that only a replacement will fix. You'll have to get support to give you an RMA.

As for recording CVR locally, there's no official solution but I use 3rd party screen capture software to do this.  I play the CVR at full screen and record to capture locally.  WOrks fine for me but I already had the screen capture software built into packages I own.  There are free ones out there, too, if your OS doesn't provide a built-in capability.

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've had a case open since November regarding the Arlo Q and Q Plus sound issue. I keep getting put off by support, saying "we need more time to investigate" and no follow up. I've had to follow up on my own, with the same responses and no resolution. I've resorted to restarting these cameras at least every day, and it seems that with heavy triggering it needs to be restarted even sooner. If I have an hour or so of constant triggers, a reset before seems to work well, but if it is several hours of continuous triggering (regardless of CVR), the cameras eventually stop recording sound at all. 

Very frustrating that Netgear refuses to acknowledge the problem or offer a solution. They've been more helpful with the Arlo Pros I have....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
@JamesC, can you jump in?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dmmack,

What is your support case number? I will take a look at your case and offer any additional feedback that I can.

JamesC

Dmmack
Apprentice
Apprentice

Case number 27672183

Tpueschell
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have no audio and never have had audio. When purchased from Best Buy I was assured it had audio. There isn't ANY option to select audio in settings
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Only the Pro and Q cameras have audio. Which do you have?