Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q not Connecting

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
bigbr22
Follower
Follower

I've been trying to insall my new camera and when going through the set up process I cannot get past the step where the camera connects to Wi-Fi. I'm able to successfully scan the QR code but after that it just continually stays on the step where it is connecting. I'm using an Apple Airport Extreme for my router and I'm having no other issues with my internet or Wi-Fi. The camera is in the same room as the router.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've already tried to connect using my iPhone, iPad and computer as well.

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Which WiFi band are you trying to use?  Try the other (2.4GHz or 5GHz) and see if that works.  You might also want to try a camera reset using the reset button.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

is there an option in the airport extreme to create a "Hidden Netowrk"?  I know the express did.  Double check and make sure it is not checked if you have that option.  

NotHal
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having same issue with my AirPort Extreme. Were you able to resolve? If so, how?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NotHal,

I have a few questions to help clarify the issue you are having. What is the behavior of your Arlo Q when trying to claim it on your account? How far are you getting in setup? Do you have any special characters in your SSID/password? (also be sure you're entering your SSID/password EXACTLY as it appears, case sensitive.) Do you have any custom settings on your router or is it factory default?

JamesC

NotHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC.  In answer to your questions:

1. What is the behavior of your Arlo Q when trying to claim it on your account?

2. How far are you getting in setup?

It chimes upon reading the QR code, then slow-flashes blue continuously for several minutes.  It does not get past this.  I've tried resetting it, resyncing, everything I can think of.

3. Do you have any special characters in your SSID/password? (also be sure you're entering your SSID/password EXACTLY as it appears, case sensitive.)

I have been super careful with case when typing the SSID (which is automatically completed on the iPhone app) and the password.  Since my primary wifi network password contains special characters, I followed the instruction to setup a guest nework without special charachters - still no luck.  The SSID does have an apostrophe (John's Guest Network) - would that really be an issue?  I'm guessing it's common for people have SSIDs that contain apostrophes, given routers often default to that, like mine.  

4. Do you have any custom settings on your router or is it factory default?

No, I have no special settings on my Airport Extreme.

Thanks for your time!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NotHal,

If possible, remove the apostrophe from the guest network SSID and try running through setup again. Allow the firmware to update and you should be good to go.

Take a look at this article describing this issue in more detail (if you haven't already): Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

JamesC

Redtailhak
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue with my Arlo Q. It should not be this difficult. All of my standard Arli cameras were put on line in a snap but not the Q. I have reset the factory setting numerous times, viewed their videon numerous times. The last step is where it does not perform. I have placed ut right next to my riuter and the message comes back as it cant fing the Arli Q.
NotHal
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally got mine to work after removing all special charachters from BOTH my wifi password AND the SSID (network name).  At first, I had only removed special characters from the password; it turns out the SSID cannot have special characters either.

Once the Arlo Q connected, it automatically downloaded the latest firmware.  After that, I was able to connect it to a network that had special characters in both the SSID and password.

I hope this helps.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager
Redtailhak,

Do you have any special characters in your SSID/password? (also be sure you're entering your SSID/password EXACTLY as it appears, case sensitive.) Do you have any custom settings on your router or is it factory default?

If your SSID/password contains special characters, take a look at this article to get your Arlo Q connected: Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

JamesC
G-Mann
Aspirant
Aspirant

Had the same Arlo Q connection problem and did all the SSID and password changes as suggested by others. That probably helped, but the Arlo-Q still couldn't be found. As a final thing to try, I turned off my VPN, and voila, it worked almost instantly!

Rafazaccai
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello everyone i tried to change user, password , reset Arlo Qs and is not connecting.

I would try to reboot the Airport Extreme, when i use other location they go perfectly is the airport . Any advice Thanks in advance 👌
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rafazaccai,

Did you remove the Arlo Q's from the previous account? This would need to be done to release the devices from that account. Afterward's they will be claimable on the new account.

JamesC