Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q outdoor under cover

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
vinzo
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,  not sure if the question has been asked, but I would like to know if I can place my Arlo Q outdoor but under cover (no rain exposure) ? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I did it last summer in a covered area for two weeks or so... not an issue , esp since the power adapter ( weak area IMO re water ) was in a sealed elec box ...

Took it down because tho it was dry, come winter it would/could be subject to blowing snow... and I was concerned re the snow/water would melt on the camera as it does run warm.

One user sealed his completely up, covering all opening including lens ( microscope glass slide as lens cover )... tho it looked a bit ugly, it worked

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's still humidity to consider but ultimately it's up to you.  It could cause a warranty issue if proven to be the location that caused a failure but it's been done before and will be done in the future.  The constant heat of the camera helps mitigate some of the concern so a thoughtful approach is likely to suceed.  You just need to balance the issues with the benefits.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I did it last summer in a covered area for two weeks or so... not an issue , esp since the power adapter ( weak area IMO re water ) was in a sealed elec box ...

Took it down because tho it was dry, come winter it would/could be subject to blowing snow... and I was concerned re the snow/water would melt on the camera as it does run warm.

One user sealed his completely up, covering all opening including lens ( microscope glass slide as lens cover )... tho it looked a bit ugly, it worked

Morse is faster than texting!
vinzo
Initiate
Initiate
Thanks guys! I will give it a go and will report back.