Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo q cameras won’t connect to app

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo Q’s (two at office and two at home) worked fine. At office I disconnected from wi-Fi to connect to my new WiFi that works fine with everything else. I can’t connect my two office cameras to new office WiFi? I have tried everything you can think of with resets and syncing and powering off. I know what I’m doing the cameras just keep searching them finally go amber light and a clicking sound.

My two at home still work. How can I get my office cameras to once again sync! Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Are you sure that you are entering the password for the new wifi correctly and that you are connected to the same wifi while trying to setup the camera?

Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was connected to same WiFi and password was correct. However, I was just able to re-connect cameras to previous WiFi. So cameras work. New WiFi works on my phone. Maybe need to have Wireless carrier to some sort of reset on their end?
Streak2
Master Master
Master
Make sure that you remove the camera under settings then start fresh on the new wifi.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the new office WiFi something administered by you or by IT? You mention your wireless carrier - what kind of WiFi router/hotspot are you using? Who owns it?

Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
Charter Communications administers it and did the install.
Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
Charter Communications administers it and did the install.. it’s a router.
Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
Router installed and admin by charter communications
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it works on the other WiFi but not the new one, contact Charter and have them open ports 80, 123 and 443 to arlo.netgear.com. Work networks frequently are a problem because IT (or Charter in this case) locks down the network for security beyond what most home networks are set for.

Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
I talked to Charter and they said those ports are open but that they do have this problem and that they need a forwarding IP address to fix the problem? Does Arlo have an IP address I need to provide? Charter said I had to provide it and he thought I might need to get it from Netgear.?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not a fixed IP address - it uses DNS to resolve arlo.netgear.com. Frankly, Charter knows (or should know) this. The actual servers are Amazon AWS which means they have multiple servers. 

@JamesC, any thoughts on this or is Charter just pissing in the wind?

Uq8v
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoke with Charter again. They said they need a 192.168.44.? number. Said the DNS won’t work and that they have to have the IP address that I believe is behind the DNS? The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about I have to add.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like they're requesting the IP address of the camera. 192.168.x.x is a private network found only behind a router. If you check your phone or PC on the new network, is the IP address 192.168.44.something? If so, they want the IP for the camera. If you can log into the router, you should be able to determine the address of the camera in the connected devices or use a PC's command window (cmd.exe) and use these commands:

ping 192.168.44.255

arp /a

Ignore the timeouts. Use the MAC (physical) address on the Q (or the Q's box) to figure out the IP address assigned by the router.