Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo q shows wrong clip length

Arlodog6578
Star
Star
  1.  Today I’ve noticed when I go to my Arlo Q library the clips show at the right length. 20 seconds, 15 seconds they show the right length in the library. When I open up the Clips to view the clip it says that the clip is one hour and 46 minutes long. When you play back the clip it only has the correct amount of time 20 or whatever length and may be in the library view. After the action finishe the image freezes and the video keeps playing.  This has started today and it happens with every single clip.  The cameras also failed to pick up some events today. Not sure if that’s related or not. Is anyone else having an issue?  I’ve got the latest iOS update.
267 REPLIES 267
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had some issues recently with Q recordings noted as being hours long but actually are the right length (2 minutes). I don't know that I'm missing any videos but it doesn't appear to be a problem. Today the videos are the right length...

redking79
Star
Star

I am having this problem with my Arlo-Q HD too.

It just started today but Arlo sets my videos at 2 hours long even though I know they're around 20 to 25 seconds.  Even the downloaded videos show up in the media player at over 2 hours long and don't play correctly.

unclev
Star
Star
I am having the exact same issue and I use the Android platform. It seems every time Arlo changes something there's an issue. What I really can't stand anymore with these cameras is the motion activation it's almost useless. I'm ready to go back to Samsung. I've had multiple Samsungs in the past and they all work perfectly fine. Also I've noticed an almost 16 to 20 second latency when viewing the cameras live. All this has just started in the last couple days and of course when I updated the Arlo app on the phone.
Arlodog6578
Star
Star

16-20 second delay,that’s pretty bad. I think I have around a 4-7 second delay. A few seconds is expected, but 20 seconds is way to much. 

Arlodog6578
Star
Star

I hadn’t tried downloading one, I just did and it has the issue as well. I looked at all my videos today and one this morning at 12:14 am plays normal.  The next video was at 5:44 am and it has the issue. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just checked my previous videos that were hours long and they all show the proper 2 minutes now. It would appear to be a display issue that's been fixed.

Arlodog6578
Star
Star
Mine is still having the issue. It shows right for 1 second of playback the shows 1:46:30
GoBucks
Tutor
Tutor
Same here. Set for 30 seconds...but shows over 1 hour after a second or so of watching clip.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlodog6578,

I've not been able to replicate this, is this just occurring in the mobile app or do you see the same behavior when using the web client?

JamesC

GoBucks
Tutor
Tutor
I see same issue on mobile and on the Arlo website...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just out of morbid curiosity, open a command window on a computer or use an appropriate app to ping arlo.netgear.com, like this:

ping arlo.netgear.com

Don't worry about timeouts or extra verbiage. Just copy and paste the IP address and actual server name that the command determines. Mine is in Ireland so I'm wondering i different servers work but others don't.

Janice805
Star
Star

Same here.  Clip length has rendered the camera system useless.  Furthermore, I've had blind spots in the middle of several of the cameras at night, problems staying connected (and I have a fast internet speed), doesn't record with movement sometimes, the clips are blurred and pixalated, on and on.  Nothing but problems.  Constant problems.  I tried to call and had to leave my phone number at one 800# then found an 844#.  The guy said someone will call me back within an hour.  This is ridiculous.  Frustrating camera system.  If I don't get any help today with a definitive answer, all four ARLO Q's are going back to COSTCO tomorrow !!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You didn't call Netgear. Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and then again on the new page.

Please stop Googling for Netgear support. 

Janice805
Star
Star

Guru.  How about you save me some time and just give me the phone number?  I used the link and still didn't find a number, and as I suspected, over an hour and still no return call.

Janice805
Star
Star

Oh, I'm sorry.  Now I know why there's no phone number.  Only good for 90 days.  Purchased my four cameras 6 months ago.  So when there's a problem that's ARLO/NETGEAR, I have no support???  Wonderful!!!  COSTCO's going to love me tomorrow when they get all those camera's back and have to give me my $550.00 cash back. 

So let me get this straight.  All these people are having the same identical problem with the length of the video clips all of a sudden, but we cannot contact them because of why ???  Obviously, it's not just our camera's.  It's a NETGEAR problem.  So fast, before to go to Costco.  What's the answer ???

Janice805
Star
Star

OK.  Just called tech support.  After about an hour on the phhone, I was transferred to a Level 2 technician.  He stated they are AWARE of the problem and the engineers are working on it.  He said they hope to have it fixed by Monday 02/26/18.  I hope so too. 

And thanks to whomever who deleted my last post with a phone number.  I just don't feel that people who are having technical issues should have to roam the internet trying to find out who to call when they're already frustrated. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I now have 2 hour+ recording lengths for 2 minute recordings. It was fine for e few days but it's back now.

VenusEnvy
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve been having this issue too. I purchased five Pro 2s, and two Qs a couple weeks ago. This issue is isolated to the Qs.
The clip length in the library are short (as expected) but once clicking on it, they last >3hrs on one cam, and 1.5hrs on the other. Looking forward to a fix!
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the exact same issue with my Arlo Q camera too.

Clip length was totally wrong and there was an issue with no audio for first half of clip.

Checked a while ago in my Android app and the clip length does now actually show the correct length BUT if you start to watch it there is no audio initially and after a while the clip length goes wrong then towards the end of the clip the audio starts but is out of sync then the video stops but the audio continues.

Obviously some corruption in the firmware on how the Q is creating the videos WHICH HOPEFULLY NETGEAR WILL FIX ASAP!!

Example:

I have a 19 second clip.
It shows in the Android app as 0.19 so looks good.
Start to play clip BUT NO AUDIO from the start.
Time is correct up to 0.11
At 0.11 the audio starts at which point the clip counter length (time shown into video on left hand side) shows 0.11 Then jumps to 4:8:00

Then it counts from 4:8:00 to 4:8:01, 4:8:02 etc right up to 4:8:18.

At around 4:8:11 the actual video (image) stops but the audio continues right up to the end of the clip at 4:8:18.

There is obviously some video encoding error in the latest firmware update which is corrupting the videos which hopefully will be rectified soon in the next firmware update.

Up to this recent error/corruption my Arlo Q has worked perfectly fine and has been excellent, so I hope its fixed back to how it was before.

(NOTE TO NETGEAR - if it ain't broke don't fix it - it was working fine before your last update - what did you do to break it? Why did you "Need" to update something that was working fine before?)
Arlodog6578
Star
Star

I am no longer having the issue as of today. Hopefully it was just a glitch on the server side. 

GoBucks
Tutor
Tutor
My 30 second vids were fixed earlier today but had NO sound.
Now....they have sound but the bad length issue is back...showed 5:59:59 on the length...😡😡
Arlodog6578
Star
Star

I don’t record audio on my camera. My clips still show the correct time. 

unclev
Star
Star
You know what's really funny is that they want this to be escalated and they know it is an issue. I guarantee they will not be able to resolve this. I'm done with Arlo and Netgear. I'm going on to other brands. There's so many other companies out there right now that are making good products you just have to do a little research. I'll just put these useless devices on eBay and somebody will buy them.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
All they need to do is roll back to the previous firmware before they messed it up.

Then before they release a new firmware TEST IT to make sure it actually works and doesn't cause problems.

My Arlo Q has worked perfectly until this recent problem and I'm sure it was just sloppy coding by the Devs and the fact they didn't properly test it before it was released in to the wild.