Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Clicking sound

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Drwn_aguirre
Follower
Follower
I have an Arlo Pro, I turn my cameras on at night time, every night between 11pm-4am, my camera detects audio of a clicking sound, usually 1x but tonight it has happened several times. My dog even woke up to it. I have no clue what's causing it. My kids have slept in living room and no noises until they left the room. So weird.
Attached is the video tonight...
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/938E8DEAE573DE74_201801
13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the camera set to record on audio or just motion? If audio, it implies that there's a missing audio event at the beginning of the recording due to the inherent lag of startup. However, the recorded click seems to be something in the house.

By any chance do you have multiple cameras in the room or at least nearby that could have caused at least the initial the click?

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it a click like almost a plastic physical clicking sound? If so, that is potentially the sound of the device switching to IR mode; next time you hear it, try turning on a light source in the room, waiting a few seconds, then turning it off again to see if you hear the same sound.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

I too am having an occasional annoying alarm originating from an Arlo Q camera (Firmware 1.125.5.0_17202) that is installed indoors but set to look outside. Until I came accross this thread, I wondered it if might have been something from my house causing the sound, but I can hear it's the same as in others who have posted links from theirs. No other cameras (Arlo, Arlo Q, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2's) are picking up any sound, this includes another Arlo that covers the inside of that room.

See the link below and listed for the plastic snap-like click sound:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A041A825DDD209BA_201802

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

(Not the click I associate with IR turning on and off (plus, no reason for IR to be doing such in that video...). Strange.)

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Again today, my Arlo Q camera alarmed at exactly 4 pm Eastern Time, caused by that snap-click sound. See this link too for the same thing - on a beautiful otherwise quiet day.

The link: https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/867E83F4EE777C89_201802

Hypraktiv
Guide
Guide

jguerdat, you are surely aware of the other threads reporting this same issue, since you have commented on them. Each time, the sound is exactly the same. What are the chances that multiple users are experiencing the exact same problem, in multiple different locations, triggered by the same exact sound? I'll tell you: NONE. It's disingenuous of you to continue to play dumb about this issue. We are clearly experiencing a bug in the Arlo Q camera hardware, and it seems to me as if Netgear is doing its best to ignore its users. I will be filing a complaint.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or you just have a bad camera IF you can actually discount other possible rationales. If you've moved the camera to a different place where it's more or less guaranteed to be quiet (dresser drawer?) and it still happens, it's the camera. You're the one with the camera, nt me, so it's up to you to perform troubleshooting. For the record, my Q does nothing of the sort.

Also, this thread was started 3 months ago - your jumping in like this isn't particularly useful. I understand the problem but what have YOU done to figure it out? I'm just another user like you and just have the bad luck to have spent way too many hours here trying to help out.

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear doesn't care as long as they're making money, as is evidenced by looking around the forum at the complaints that have now existed for 9, 12, 18 months and more.

Don't file a complaint, it will change nothing. What might change something is leaving feedback at a place like Amazon.com, suggesting that readers come to this forum to see for themselves.

Hypraktiv
Guide
Guide

Sorry, jguerdat, I was a bit terse before. I am very frustrated with this issue, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I think I thought you worked for Netgear, and judging by some of the other responses, people have been getting the runaround.

I'm a technical user, myself, so I've done the usual troubleshooting. I won't say that it's been completely exhaustive, but fairly thorough. The idea of putting it in a dresser drawer hadn't occurred to me, but it's a good one. I've found that power-cycling the camera has given some relief, but then the issue starts again. Hence why I managed to find myself beyond the return window.

Here's an update: I got 2 more notifications since I posted the earlier post. That makes a total of 6 over 3 days, but there isn't a distinctive pattern. I thought that if it is, indeed, the IR actuator, as one user claimed, then it might happen at a certain time of day or night, but it seems to be somewhat random. I've just gotten off the phone with Netgear, and they actually acknowledged the issue, and said it might be that they need to replace my camera. I'm relieved that they both acknowledge that there is a flaw, and also that it might be fixed by a replacement. First, they want to analyse my videos, and then we'll see. I'll update this thread accordingly.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

This is really annoying, on 4 May alone one of my Arlo Q cameras the only one of two that I have that demonstrate the clicking problem) is alarming with the click / clicking sound at 8:14 pm, again at 8:30 pm, again at 8:56 pm, 8:57 pm, 9:47 pm, and 11:56 pm. Each time it registers an "Audio" alarm and records the segment. There is a second Arlo Q camera IS FEET AWAY, INSIDE THE SAME BEDROOM THAT NEVER HAS ALARMED WITH THE CLICK. This is causing me to disable a the Armed function of an Arlo Q that is supposed to be covering an important approach area outside of this home. Note, I am not at this remote home to swap out the rwo cameras, so don't suggest something that does not solve the click problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

martincc,

As you seem to continue having issues specifically with this one Arlo Q camera, I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

JohnMac5326
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazing that this complaint has literall thousands of repetitions with other users having the same issue and ive yet to see ONE SINGLE decent response from Arlo.  Thise things have sucked over half the months ive owned them.  36 hours of customer support to replace them the first time and now they click like this constantly

JohnMac5326
Aspirant
Aspirant

Witht hte thousands fo repetitions of this issue its ridiculous to tell that user that its THEIR issue with other tech at home.  You didnt even try to be legit.