Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do you need internet?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just wondering, I have a friend who just wants to put a camera up but just to record onto a card, without uploading to the net? Will any of these models do this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Kinda sorta.  They all need Internet connections to set the cameras up.  With the Q+ camera or the wireless Pro system, you can use a microSD card for the former or a USB device for the latter to record locally.  However, without an Internet connection, you're shooting blind.  You would have no access to change the settings or to view recordings without physically pulling the card/USB drive and putting it on a computer to view.  While it's possible to use the devices like this, it would be cumbersome at best.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Kinda sorta.  They all need Internet connections to set the cameras up.  With the Q+ camera or the wireless Pro system, you can use a microSD card for the former or a USB device for the latter to record locally.  However, without an Internet connection, you're shooting blind.  You would have no access to change the settings or to view recordings without physically pulling the card/USB drive and putting it on a computer to view.  While it's possible to use the devices like this, it would be cumbersome at best.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
If I was to set up a camera at home, put a sd card in, then go place the cam, say out in the bush to record movement overnight, this would record to the SD card?
What size cards can the camera (s) take, and one more thing, can the camera overwrite old files like a dash cam?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) The biggest issue would be power in the bush. The Q cameras are powered. Assuming you run an extension cord, it should record.

2) Don't know the ultimate size microSD card usable - I don't think it's published. I'd guess 128-256GB cards would work but won't guarantee anything.

3) If you set the card storage up properly, you can have it overwrite when the card is full.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
So, if I had a spare Pro camera, could I set this up on the internet, then stick a sd card in there then go put it somewhere and get it to record on to the card? I could use the mobile hotspot to set up the base unit and have a battery pack to just keep the unit going till it's set up then turn off the base unit and leave the cam to record to the SD card. Just thinking outside the box.
Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
I haven't checked the pro cam for a sd card slot.... Is there one?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro cameras don't support SD cards - the base allows for a USB drive.  The only wireless camera that supports a microSD card is the Arlo Go which uses cell service.

Mobis
Apprentice
Apprentice
The Arlo Go, can it operate without a sim card? Or can it be set up with a sim card then remove the sim card and keep recording to the SD card?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's designed to work with a SIM card - dunno if you can remove it and have it still work at all.