Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
GoodDragon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was wondering why I can see everything with detail with my Arlo Q, but if the laptop is on, I cannot see the detail on the computer screen.  It only shows as white.

Is there a way to adjust the camera?

Sandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That's because there's a large difference in brightness between the room lighting and the laptop screen. Almost all LCD screens are way too bright - photographers use hardware and software to reduce the brightness back to CRT levels. Even that can be too bright compared to room lighting, however. If you want to see the screen, you'll likely need to either increase room lighting or move the camera so the screen is the majority of the camera view.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Details. That doesn't make sense to me. What happens if you use the app? Are you using live view or a video in the library?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds more like a flash issue

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do you mean that you see great detail around the room when you view your Arlo Q... BUT you can NOT see what someone or you is looking at on a laptop screen that is in the room you are viewing (as in you want to be able to see what someone is looking at on their computer screen within the room monitored by the Q)?  Are you saying that computer screen in the Arlo Q viewing range shows as white instead of you seing what is on the screen? 

GoodDragon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

Thanks

S

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That's because there's a large difference in brightness between the room lighting and the laptop screen. Almost all LCD screens are way too bright - photographers use hardware and software to reduce the brightness back to CRT levels. Even that can be too bright compared to room lighting, however. If you want to see the screen, you'll likely need to either increase room lighting or move the camera so the screen is the majority of the camera view.
silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi GoodDragon1,

I was thinking about this. Have you tried zooming in your Q?  If there is a screen (computer, TV, whatever) within the room the Q monitors and that screen is the primary thing you want to be able to see best, then in the Video settings for the camera you can zoom in on the snapshot image (where you would otherwise set zones)  so the Q is looking only at the screen.  This *might* work as it should minimise any difference in lighting between the rest of the room scene and the screen.  Once you have zoomed in you can save that view and I think that is the only area you will see when you then live feed from the camera. Don't know that 'motion' alert will work but it might alert you when the screen is turned 'On' as that should trip the Q.  Worth a try anyway.  

GoodDragon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I tried zooming in as well, but that doesn't help.  When you zoom in you also lose sharpness on the camera.

GoodDragon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both...it shows the screen as white and don't see the detail.  Wondering if it's just an angle issue.

GoodDragon1
Aspirant
Aspirant

That makes sense, thank you!